Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

KIA issues goodwill repair for windshield issues

The notice from Kia about the windshields only addresses 2020 models. Just found a 1 inch crack on mine, below the driver's side windshield wiper and well below the hood. Not from a rock (not possible nor a bullseye chip). We have just over 6000 miles on our 2021.

Is this a 2020 issue or 2021 as well? We bought one a week ago, built in april 2021... hopefully they resolved these issues.

tsweeny

I experienced the start of a small crack last Thursday, started traveling across the windshield. I looked for any sign of a rock hitting the windshield, found none. I took it to the dealer, they said oh a rock hit it, if it did it didn't leave a spot where you could see, no star pattern. So if a small rock hit the windshield no mark, and started the crack, oh my I should say so the product is defective. WIth that said, the dealer honored the KIA.com customer satisfaction letter saying they would replace it. I hope the replacement is better than the original. It will take a month to get a replacement due to the number of these being replaced...

Ok now, for me, my experience at the dealership I took it to was the one I purchased my KIA 2021 Telluride SX Prestige a couple months ago, and I want to get them a shout out on the level of customer care. Thank you The Dealer is Lee Johnsons out of Kirkland WA. Everytime I have had to contact them, my experience has been top notch so far.

Wish I found this sooner. Safelite is replacing our driver side window right now. I know it is not the windshield specifically, but saw several others mentioning the driver or passenger window. Mine somehow cracked while driving, never heard a rock or anything hit the glass, just look to the side at some point while driving and noticed a chip in the middle and crack all the way up and down vertically. Costing me $500 to replace.. did a Geico insurance claim but still have a $500 deductible. The total cost was to be $511 from Safelite. Hoping to take the letter into the dealership and see if they will reimburse me.. it was a several week hassle just for Safelite to get the window in stock.

jmatty

I’m curious too, located in norther Ontario, I bought my 2021 Kia telluride in November 2020, I got the sx. Edition. And since February I now have 5 chips in my windshield and it’s very pitted. 🤬 I called the dealer to have a look at it and they said if they are from stones then that’s the price you pay for driving it on the road, completely disregarding my point to have it looked at now that it’s a safety issue. No windshield should crack like that. Please let me know if Canada has the same thing.
Only issue with this program is that windshields are apparently on indefinite backorder from Kia (and coming from South Korea). My 2020 EX had no visible chip or ding, yet when I came back to the car after a couple hours, there was a horizontal crack 75+% across the windshield, and directly through the field of vision, still without any identifiable chip, ding, or impact point.

My vehicle has now been down for four (4) weeks awaiting a replacement windshield, and neither the dealer nor Kia Consumer Affairs (don't get me started) has any information as to when one might be available. Leaving aside the insanity of knowing these vehicles have a ticking issue due to the incorporation of inferior materials and not having a ready supply of replacement parts, how is it that *new* Tellurides are continuing to be built and sold to acquire new customers before the existing customers have theirs repaired? There's a Kia plant in West Point, GA, less than 500 miles from me, yet I'm waiting on a standard part to arrive from the other side of the planet.

Only issue with this program is that windshields are apparently on indefinite backorder from Kia (and coming from South Korea). My 2020 EX had no visible chip or ding, yet when I came back to the car after a couple hours, there was a horizontal crack 75+% across the windshield, and directly through the field of vision, still without any identifiable chip, ding, or impact point.

My vehicle has now been down for four (4) weeks awaiting a replacement windshield, and neither the dealer nor Kia Consumer Affairs (don't get me started) has any information as to when one might be available. Leaving aside the insanity of knowing these vehicles have a ticking issue due to the incorporation of inferior materials and not having a ready supply of replacement parts, how is it that *new* Tellurides are continuing to be built and sold to acquire new customers before the existing customers have theirs repaired? There's a Kia plant in West Point, GA, less than 500 miles from me, yet I'm waiting on a standard part to arrive from the other side of the planet.
Wish I found this sooner. Safelite is replacing our driver side window right now. I know it is not the windshield specifically, but saw several others mentioning the driver or passenger window. Mine somehow cracked while driving, never heard a rock or anything hit the glass, just look to the side at some point while driving and noticed a chip in the middle and crack all the way up and down vertically. Costing me $500 to replace.. did a Geico insurance claim but still have a $500 deductible. The total cost was to be $511 from Safelite. Hoping to take the letter into the dealership and see if they will reimburse me.. it was a several week hassle just for Safelite to get the window in stock.
Did the dealership reimburse for the window? My passenger side window got two small cracks that have grown across the entire window. Also, we’re you satisfied by the Safelite replacement? Thanks!

Kendall7

Great news everyone, Kia just issued a Customer Satisfaction Initiative for the windshield issue.
=========================================================================

Dear Kia Telluride Owner:

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 2020MY Kia Telluride! We packed the Telluride with all the things you need for life's adventures-powerful performance, exceptional handling, and signature Kia technology-so you can get everything you want out of it and then some.

We're writing to let you know that as part of our ongoing monitoring of Telluride Performance, we have identified that in some instances, customers have reported windshield chipping followed by extensive cracking within a short period of time, thereby preventing repair of the chip.

Your vehicle's 2020 warranty specifically excludes coverage for broken, chipped, scratched or damaged window glass due to outside influence. However, as you are a valued customer, Kia would like to provide you with repair support should you encounter the issue described above.

What Will Kia Do?
  • In an effort to ensure customer satisfaction, Kia will replace your Telluride's windshield as a goodwill gesture should it chip and crack thereby preventing repair of the chip while we continue to investigate this issue.
    • Please note that damage caused to your windshield due to a vehicle collision will not be covered under this initiative.
  • Kia will provide you with alternate transportation for the duration of the windshield repair, if necessary.
  • If you have encountered any out-of-pocket expense associated with your issue previously, you may be eligible for reimbursement of that repair upon receipt of back-up documentation/receipts for thosr expenses.
What Should You Do?
  • Should you experience the above described condition and your windshield needs replacement because it is not repairable, please contact your local authorized Kia dealer and schedule an appointment. Bring this letter to the appointement and provide it to the dealer for reference.
  • To find your nearest dealer, visit www.kia.com and click the Find Dealer button in the upper right corner.

View attachment 2073
Now if they will just do it for the new 2022 owners. I just bought a new 2022 telluride, and the windshield cracked with the first month. Dealer says there is nothing they could do because the recall is only for the older models.
same windshield, same problem! Just as many complaints of cracking, if not more already with the 2022! It’s so disappointing. I was so excited and telling everyone to by a Kia, now im saying “whoa, wait! I Was wrong”😕

JayZ750

Questions on this issue.

I have a 2020 model, production date was very early. I have a crack across my windshield - I DID have a rock hit it on a road trip like 5-6 months ago, by the time i got back from the roadtrip, it was a decent line, and now its across much of my windshield.

I called the dealership and referenced this letter/issue and their service guy was like "you have to have the original letter". I was like "I was supposed to keep a letter from late 2019?" so he pointed me towards Kia Motor America itself. I called them and she looked up my VIN and said since my production date was early (August 2019ish) it didn't apply, it only applied to one production date of something like December 2019. All of which seems odd - the earlier productions used a different/better windshield?

Does anyone know if any of this makes sense or have thoughts on my next steps? If i can get Kia to repair it at no cost, not to scam anyone but because the windshield was poorly designed and they put out that program, than i'd like to do that.

Thanks

I have a 2021 Telluride SX and love the car but just got a rock chip in the windshield. The dealer is quoting $1,800 to have it replaced. They said if I do aftermarket windshield they would have to recalibrate everything and if it did not work they were not be liable. Our insurance does not cover windshields. Does anyone have any advice of what I should do. $1,800 for windshield is ludicrous. Thanks.