Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Kia Telluride ISG Information (Idle Stop and Go)

I had some issues with the ISG not turning off the engine a few times this week, had to confirm in manual that it wasn't faulty. Figured I'd share it here for others who may be interested

========================================

When the engine stops automatically by ISG, the engine will restart if one of the following driver actions.
  • Release the brake pedal.
  • Move the shift gear to the R (Reverse) position or the Manual mode while depressing the brake pedal.
The engine will start and the green AUTO STOP indicator (A) on the instrument cluster will go out.

The engine will also restart automatically without any driver actions if the following occurs:
  • The fan speed of manual climate control system is set above the 3rd position when the air conditioning is on.
  • The fan speed of automatic climate control system is set above the 5th position when the air conditioning is on.
  • When a certain amount of time has passed with the climate control system on.
  • When the defroster is on.
  • The brake vacuum pressure is low.
  • The battery charging status is low.
  • The vehicle speed exceeds 1 mph (1 km/h).
  • Engine is turned off by Auto Stop for a long time.
  • If you unfasten the seat belt or open the driver's door while depressing the brake pedal

Operating conditions
The ISG will operate under the following condition:
  • The driver's seat belt is fastened.
  • The driver's door and engine hood are closed.
  • The brake vacuum pressure is adequate.
  • The battery is sufficiently charged.
  • The outside temperature is between 14 /F to 95 /F (-10 /C to 35 /C).
  • The engine coolant temperature is not too low.
  • If the ISG system does not meet the operation condition, the ISG system is deactivated. The light on the ISG OFF button will illuminate and a message "Auto Stop conditions not met" will appear on the LCD display.
  • If the light or warning message comes on continuously, please check the operation condition.

ISG Malfunction
isg-malfunction.png
The ISG may not operate when an ISG related sensor or system error occurs.
The following will happen:
  • The yellow AUTO STOP (A) indicator on the instrument cluster will stay on after blinking for 5 seconds.
  • The light on the ISG OFF button will illuminate.
When the engine is in Idle Stop mode, it's possible to restart the engine without the driver taking any action. Before leaving the car or doing anything in the engine compartment, stop the engine by the ENGINE START/STOP button to the OFF position.
isg-malfunction2.png
If the AGM battery is reconnected or replaced, ISG function will not operate immediately. If you want to use the ISG function, the battery sensor needs to be calibrated for approximately 4 hours with the ignition off. After calibration, turn the engine on and off 2 or 3 times.

Prerequisites to reactivate the battery sensor
Keep the engine in the OFF status for 4 hours, and attempt to restart the engine 3 to 4 times for the battery sensor reactivation.
Pay extreme caution not to connect any accessories (i.e. navigation and black box) to the vehicle with the engine in the OFF status. If not, the battery sensor may not be reactivated.

The ISG system may not operate in the following situations.
  • There is a malfunction with the ISG system.
  • The battery is weak.
  • The brake vacuum pressure is low.
If this occurs, have the ISG system checked by an authorized Kia dealer

lizzyk19

I purchased my Kia Telluride less than 1 month ago. When my ISG light comes on on the dash it is usually amber, NOT green. On a very FEW occasions, it's been green but the majority of the time it's amber. The manual says it should be green. The sales manager at the dealership has no idea why it would be amber. Has anyone else experienced an amber ISG indicator on the dash as opposed to green? Thanks.

Rob S

Lizzyk19, I am having the same problem and came searching online for an answer. I can’t find anything other than where it says that if there is something wrong it will blink amber for 5 seconds then stay lit, I have never seen it blink. It just come on amber.
I purchased my Kia Telluride less than 1 month ago. When my ISG light comes on on the dash it is usually amber, NOT green. On a very FEW occasions, it's been green but the majority of the time it's amber. The manual says it should be green. The sales manager at the dealership has no idea why it would be amber. Has anyone else experienced an amber ISG indicator on the dash as opposed to green? Thanks.
Lizzyk19, I am having the same problem and came searching online for an answer. I can’t find anything other than where it says that if there is something wrong it will blink amber for 5 seconds then stay lit, I have never seen it blink. It just come on amber. I just noticed it in the last week.

Lizzyk19, I am having the same problem and came searching online for an answer. I can’t find anything other than where it says that if there is something wrong it will blink amber for 5 seconds then stay lit, I have never seen it blink. It just come on amber.

Lizzyk19, I am having the same problem and came searching online for an answer. I can’t find anything other than where it says that if there is something wrong it will blink amber for 5 seconds then stay lit, I have never seen it blink. It just come on amber. I just noticed it in the last week.

According to the manual if your Auto Stop indicator light is yellow it means the battery sensor needs to be reactivated.

To do this:

Prerequisites to reactivate the battery sensor.
Keep the engine in the OFF status for 4 hours, and attempt to restart the engine 3 to 4 times fore the battery sensor reactivation.

lizzyk19

Hey Rob. This is so frustrating. I actually went back to the dealer and spoke with the Sales Manager who told me he's had his Telluride for a while now. He said he doesn't normally ride with the ISG system activated so he couldn't tell me anything about it but he offered to drive around for a few days with it on. He reported back to me saying "I have been driving around since we talked studying ISG and it mine is always amber as well until the actual car turns off is when it turns green. So it seems it's indicating it may be on but isn't green/activated until the vehicle actually turns off at a complete stop. I don't think it is anything to worry about. If you need further assistance with Kia you can call customer support at 800-333-4542." I personally don't understand why the manual would indicate green and 90% of the time it's amber but NOT blinking. I am going to give Kia a call and see what they say. I'll let you know if I find out anything further.

lizzyk19

According to the manual if your Auto Stop indicator light is yellow it means the battery sensor needs to be reactivated.

To do this:

Prerequisites to reactivate the battery sensor.
Keep the engine in the OFF status for 4 hours, and attempt to restart the engine 3 to 4 times fore the battery sensor reactivation.
Are you saying that in the morning after my car has been sitting overnight with the engine OFF for at least 4 hours, all I need to do it start and stop the engine 3-4 times in a row to reactivate the battery sensor? I'm not quite sure why this would have happened so soon after I bought the vehicle and why the Sales Manager would know nothing about this. Thanks.

Rob S

Are you saying that in the morning after my car has been sitting overnight with the engine OFF for at least 4 hours, all I need to do it start and stop the engine 3-4 times in a row to reactivate the battery sensor? I'm not quite sure why this would have happened so soon after I bought the vehicle and why the Sales Manager would know nothing about this. Thanks.
lizzyk19 - did you give it a try? My car has not been off long enough for me to go out now and try this. I am wondering if it worked for you?

lizzyk19

Hi, Rob. I did try it but it didn't work. I took the car to my Kia dealer on 12/21. They had no answer for me. Well, I should say their answer was "according to the manual, it probably has to do with the temperature outside and it's too cold so you'll need to bring it back when the temperatures are warmer". To which I replied, "I purchased the vehicle in October and we had some pretty warm days since then (I'm in NJ and we had some 40-50 degree days after I purchased the vehicle) and the amber light still lit on those days." I was met with a blank stare. Funny thing is the next day I decided to turn the ISG off completely yet it continued to go on but this time the indicator on the dash lit up GREEN and the car actually shut off. Go figure. But it was frustrating because I wanted to turn the feature off entirely but every time I hit the button to turn it off and the light on the center console was lit indicating it was OFF, whenever I stopped the car, the ISG kicked in and registered GREEN. Can't figure this out/make this sh*t up. But since then it's been lighting primarily amber except for today. It's 37 degrees and it actually worked today. Yet on warmer days it didn't. Again, Go Figure. Have you had any luck?

Hi! I'm having problems with my auto start/stop indicator light being orange all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't find anything in the book that says what orange means. I was at the dealer yesterday with a transmission issue and they updated the computer that was "supposed" to fix this, but it hasn't. Any ideas/suggestions?

I just took my 2020 SX in for the ISG never engaging they said that things checked out but Kia is recommending that they replace the battery sensor. The part is 3-5 business days out so i will need to bring it back. Finger crossed this fixes it. The system worked for about a week and then would never engage. I don't really care all that much about ISG as the benefits seem like they are very minimal and the car has to be off for +10sec before you really see much gas savings. I just refuse to have a system that isn't working as intended.

Ugh, I have a 2021 Telluride and am having the same problem.... when the ISG light turns on it's either amber or green, did anyone figure out a solution, or what it even means? Light is not blinking, just turns amber instead of green on the dash, and the ISG button (switch on console to turn on/off) also has an amber light on at the same time the one on dash is amber, which may indicate that for some reason the ISG is inactive at that particular stop?

Chico

same problem on my 2021 telluride,brought new in april 2019,took back to dealer on 3 seperate times,they dont know how to fix the problem,i just got frusrated with dealership and told them what i think off their services in very choice words.I have not been to this dealership for any service since.I have been very lucky with my telly,since this is the only problem in 30 months off ownership.Every now and then the rear wiper drips,only when i use it.Overall,i can truely say a well put together suv,or maybe since i got the first suv sold at this dealership and some off the first shipments to CANADA,maybe QUALITY CONTROL was better back them.IN closing,GOOD DAMN SUV,BUT BADD DEALERSHIP.KIA REALLY NEEDS TO SPEND MORE TIME IMPROVING THEIR DEALERSHIPS after customers take delivery of their products.

Does anyone have anymore information on this?

Just purchased a CPO 2020 Telluride EX. The ISG light will only light up YELLOW not green. It does not flash. When it lights up yellow, it also turns the "ISG OFF" button "on" (amber light on). I do not touch the button, so ISG should be on. When I turn ISG off with the "ISG Off button" the amber light on the button comes on but there is never any light that comes on the dash.

I can confirm the criteria for the ISG to stop the engine is met as far as outside temperature, HVAC settings, etc.

I will try the "battery sensor reactivation" but I am not optimistic about this at all.

Does anyone have anymore information on this?

Just purchased a CPO 2020 Telluride EX. The ISG light will only light up YELLOW not green. It does not flash. When it lights up yellow, it also turns the "ISG OFF" button "on" (amber light on). I do not touch the button, so ISG should be on. When I turn ISG off with the "ISG Off button" the amber light on the button comes on but there is never any light that comes on the dash.

I can confirm the criteria for the ISG to stop the engine is met as far as outside temperature, HVAC settings, etc.

I will try the "battery sensor reactivation" but I am not optimistic about this at all.
I ended up replacing the original battery with a new one. By the next day (after 4 hours off time), the ISG started to work as expected. There are actually times it does light up yellow still, but I am learning this is when the engine is too cold, hvac settings, etc.

My factory battery was only holding 12.3 volts even after being charged. There are not many choices for batteries to fit our Tellurides as it is a large AGM type battery. I ended up getting a Die Hard Platinum.

MWilson

I have a 2022 Telluride SX that I received in May after a 9 + month wait, it has about 1200 miles on it and the ISG light started continuously blinking orange and the auto shut off / start stoped working. Per the manual I took it to my dealer and after a two hour wait they told we the issue does not come up on the computer and seems as they have no idea what the problem is I probably should not drive it. The dealer did get me a rental car while they reach out to the manufacturer for guidance. I am starting day four and have heard nothing.
Has anyone experienced this as it seems the people at my dealer have not, which is concerning.
thanks

bearkat33

I have a 2022 Telluride SX that I received in May after a 9 + month wait, it has about 1200 miles on it and the ISG light started continuously blinking orange and the auto shut off / start stoped working. Per the manual I took it to my dealer and after a two hour wait they told we the issue does not come up on the computer and seems as they have no idea what the problem is I probably should not drive it. The dealer did get me a rental car while they reach out to the manufacturer for guidance. I am starting day four and have heard nothing.
Has anyone experienced this as it seems the people at my dealer have not, which is concerning.
thanks
Any update from the dealer on your ISG problem?

bearkat33

Yes, I should have posted before. They had to order and then replace the Electric Transmission Oil Pump. Since the EOP was replaced the ISG system has been working as it should.
My two week old Telluride had the same issue and they are replacing the Electric Transmission Oil Pump too. Glad to hear this resolved the issue, puts my mind at ease. Thanks for your post.