Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Kia Telluride Vehicle Maintenance Milestones

ucinn

Staff Member
If Kia doesn't have it in their maintenance schedule, then they can't possibly not cover your warranty if you haven't done it.

Hello, unless I am missing something I don't see anywhere in the maintenance schedules where they check and clean the valves for oil/carbon buildup. Does the avg consumer know this? And if you don't do it and something happens to the engine, is Kia going to honor the warranty or assume you should have had it cleaned off?? Looks like any company that offers GDI engines should inspect the valves.
All DGI engines will get intake valve carbon built up and all manufacturers know that is a problem but no one will admit it! My dealership is great no bs . They recommend oil change at 6,000Km they use Castrol Edge full Synthetic and like good dealership I've been too several mechanics recommend uper cylinder cleaning at 32,000Km this will prevent carbon build up on the valves and very inexpensive. Use Top Tier fuel they have good cleaners to keep the injectors clean. Should be trouble free for many Km/miles.

ucinn

Staff Member
I'm thinking the Atkinson cycle will help keep the valves clean as some fuel will hit the outside of the valves and keep them clean(or cleaner). I guess we shall see over time.

I'm thinking the Atkinson cycle will help keep the valves clean as some fuel will hit the outside of the valves and keep them clean(or cleaner). I guess we shall see over time.
That Atkinson cycle will only delay the inevitable. I have seen the deposit in DGI engines in many brands. Mercedes, BMW, Kia , Hyundai, GM,Ford ect. The only manufacturers takling this problem is some Ford engines and Toyota rav4 were there is a Port Injection along with the DGI. Basically the Port Injection system operates in city driving low speed, high speed the DGI kicks in. I'm not taking any chances for a measly $100. every 2yrs or so. That is why you see warranty between 3 to 5yrs BUT low mileage. Eg. GM still offers 3yrs but went from 100,000Km down to 60,000Km.Check it out!!! The dealership I went too, NONE disputed my claim. In fact they admitted it, but were told to keep quiet unless the customer brings the issue up before the sale. After the purchase it becomes your problem. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Vdill49

Anyone else have there dealer tell them the car has to be serviced at 3500 then again at 7500??

Anyone else have there dealer tell them the car has to be serviced at 3500 then again at 7500??
Kia recommends oil changes between 6,000Km to 12,000Km. Depending on were you live has a lot to do with maintenance. At 6,000Km recommended as severe conditions. I live in mountaineous area with cold winters therefore I adjust my maintenance accordingly. And will do an upper cylinder clean every 32,000Km it is not a labour intensive work. It can be easily done by the owner. But I prefer to have it done using a pressurized system as apposed to a low pressure spray going through the throttle body. One is about $100 through the dealer and do it yourself spray is about $25.

Sorry what did you mean by not taking any chances? Are you saying you will have the valves cleaned every few thousand miles? Thanks
Every 32,000 Km or so. Suggested by a automotive engineer. That would be roughly 20,000 - 25,000 miles. I've seen motors taken apart as low as 36,000 miles and the intake valves had severe carbon deposits causing poor running issues. But again it's to each their own. I would like to keep my vehicle for at least 10yrs this time. I'm retired and I'm not going to replace my vehicle every 3yrs like I use to.

Every 32,000 Km or so. Suggested by a automotive engineer. That would be roughly 20,000 - 25,000 miles. I've seen motors taken apart as low as 36,000 miles and the intake valves had severe carbon deposits causing poor running issues. But again it's to each their own. I would like to keep my vehicle for at least 10yrs this time. I'm retired and I'm not going to replace my vehicle every 3yrs like I use to.
Understood..the GDI was my concern because I usually hold onto my vehicles for years too. My guess is it's more then a $100 cleaning service, heck labor alone is $100

Understood..the GDI was my concern because I usually hold onto my vehicles for years too. My guess is it's more then a $100 cleaning service, heck labor alone is $100
My dealership charges a flat fee of $150 incl. Cleaner solution and taxes. Like you my concern was with the DGI engine. The maintenance suggested in my previous reply was recommended to me by several mechanics and assured me that would prolong the life of the motor.

Has anyone explored a fuel additive option, at regular intervals?

Has anyone explored a fuel additive option, at regular intervals?
I use lucas gas & injector treatment every 2nd tank fill up. This will help to keep injectors clean but won't do nothing in preventing carbon buildup on the valves of a DGI engine. I've use this product for my 2008 santa fe worked well. This will also help the fuel pump as it lubricates it.

Hello, unless I am missing something I don't see anywhere in the maintenance schedules where they check and clean the valves for oil/carbon buildup. Does the avg consumer know this? And if you don't do it and something happens to the engine, is Kia going to honor the warranty or assume you should have had it cleaned off?? Looks like any company that offers GDI engines should inspect the valves.

At the 60K mile service it says to inspect the valve clearance. I'm not even close to an expert, but I'm going to guess that if there is something wrong at this inspection, they'll let you know. Plus, all along the way you are suppose to either use Top Tier gas or add a Techron Fuel System Cleaner at every every change. Either of these practices are suppose to help keep the valves clean.

At the 60K mile service it says to inspect the valve clearance. I'm not even close to an expert, but I'm going to guess that if there is something wrong at this inspection, they'll let you know. Plus, all along the way you are suppose to either use Top Tier gas or add a Techron Fuel System Cleaner at every every change. Either of these practices are suppose to help keep the valves clean.
Not one company will tell you about carbon build up on the valves with a DGI motor because they would be admitting to the problem. But if ask about it they should tell you the truth and record the answer like I did.Gas additive will do nothing for carbon build up but will keep the injectors clean. There is only 2 ways. 1)have valves cleaned using a spray in the throttle body every 32,000Km or so. 2) wait until you get a poor running engine in that case the head is removed and usually they blast the valves with walnut shells a method used by several auto tech for all brands and yes even expensive vehicles like Audi, BMW...

I'm sure when they pull your engine to find the Point-of-Failure they will be checking the valves at that time.

Cumberland Farms is not top-tier fuel? (We pretty much use Mobil 87 anyway.)
I don't fill at Cumberland Farms after finding out that they are not on the Top Tier list. I have been exclusively been using Cumberland Farms for gas and one of my cars ended up having random starting issues at near 100K miles. I fuel up at Shell and Costco now.