Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Navigation

Does anyone know how updates are handled for the nav data that comes stock in the vehicles? I'm taking delivery (finally) of my SX Limited with Nappa on Wednesday, and so far I haven't been able to find much info on how long we get updates for, or how the updates are acquired. The reason I ask is that for another vehicle I own, you can either take the car to the dealer's service department and pay them an hour's labour to take your SD card that holds the nav data out of your car, update it, and plug it back in. Or, I can log into an official site and do it all myself. My first three years of updates were free, and after that it was a subscription service. I'm just trying to figure out what the story is for our vehicles... and yes, I know I can use AA, but I'm interested in the stock nav system. Any insight anyone can share is greatly appreciated.... TIA

ucinn

Staff Member
I believe it's through the USB, I think you can do it yourself or through dealer. It's not free though.

Thanks, that meshes with what I managed to dig up this morning.

I've been doing more digging around on this, and I think I'm getting closer to understanding what they're up to. So yes, it's through the USB port, and not an SD chip (as I was hoping). And, no 3 years of free updates. You get what comes with the vehicle (if your trim level includes nav), and that's it. A one shot deal upon purchase. Apparently, they issue updates to map content once per year, and each time, you pay to access it. Other than that, it's kind of vague, so I'll see what the service manager says when I take posession of the vehicle. My rampant speculation is that you log onto the site (I found that part at least), and then the content gets copied onto a 64GB USB fob. I don't know if I can use one of my own, or if it's somehow initialized by the dealer and something I have to purchase from them at 1000% the market value for a 64GB fob. Then you put the vehicle in accessory mode (not starting the engine), plug in the USB fob, and somewhere around an hour later it finishes copying the data into the infotainment system local storage. They also seemed to infer that if there were any updates to the infotainment firmware, that got performed during the same update process. I need to find more details on that bit.

When I went to the URL for the nav data purchase, I entered the model year and vehicle model... and it came back with no updates available. That could be truly that there are no updates available, or maybe it just shows that since I haven't signed up for the service yet. As soon as I have more concrete information and process details to share I'll post them to this thread.

For now, all I can state is that the map data site says the current version of map data is NA.12.47.44.XXX (V13.5) . Content is Canada and the US (no Mexico). It also states that it takes from 2 to 3 hours to download (variable based on your Internet access speed), and then one hour to update in the vehicle.

ucinn

Staff Member
yes, 13.5 seems to be the latest. I updated my Stinger when 12.5 came out (SD Card) because it allowed text over bluetooth. I haven't purchased any updates since then since they don't seem to be much of an improvement over 12.5. When a new version does come out, they have a PDF you can view that says what improvements there are in the latest version. They tie these updates along with the latest maps.