Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

oil catch can?

loweboy

What is the consensus regarding oil catch cans on our engines ? I understand the benefits to the valve train , are they worth the money if you plan on keeping the vehicle for the long term ? I think it might be " cheap insurance " to install one from the beginning .

ucinn

Staff Member
It would probably keep the valves cleaner longer. just the fact that this engine uses the Atkinson cycle will already help to keep it cleaner.

OP
loweboy

loweboy

Thread Starter #4
When the dealer services the engine do they run a cleaner through the intake ?
I plan on doing the oil changes myself ( keeping full records ) and would not have access to this type of cleaning ...
Therefore installing the can would be some benefit .

ucinn

Staff Member
Ours does run a fuel system cleaner through it, not sure of the timetable on that though, but I think it's every other oil change.

Honestly it wouldn't hurt for longevity, I don't plan to keep the Telluride anymore than 5 years.

Any particular brand you had in mind?

OP
loweboy

loweboy

Thread Starter #8
A quick search brought this up, quote from another member .

The problem is that GDI engines have a dry induction path. The fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. Because of this the incoming fuel that washes down the intake valves in a rail injected engine is absent. For the most part the deposits are thought to be caused by oil being introduced into the intake manifold from the PCV valve. A lot of folks have dealt with this by installing an aftermarket oil/air separator in the hose between the PCV valve and the manifold to trap the unwanted oil.

I feel anything to prevent contaminants in the intake system is worth the added expense .

My search will begin for the catch can to serve my needs ....

ucinn

Staff Member
A quick search brought this up, quote from another member .

The problem is that GDI engines have a dry induction path. The fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. Because of this the incoming fuel that washes down the intake valves in a rail injected engine is absent. For the most part the deposits are thought to be caused by oil being introduced into the intake manifold from the PCV valve. A lot of folks have dealt with this by installing an aftermarket oil/air separator in the hose between the PCV valve and the manifold to trap the unwanted oil.

I feel anything to prevent contaminants in the intake system is worth the added expense .

My search will begin for the catch can to serve my needs ....
But using the Atkinson cycle should alleviate some of this. The Atkinson cycle leaves the intake valve open for about 20% of the compression stroke which forces the fule/air mixture back into the intake and gets sucked in by the next cylinder in line. Thus, some of the gas will wash the next intake valve. Not as effective as a dual FI setup, but cheaper and keep the benefits of the GDI setup.

OP
loweboy

loweboy

Thread Starter #11
You are correct , Atkinson is an improvement on the original designs . Could the " fuel additives " in the service procedure aid in cleaning the valves , or is it redundant with high end fuels ( additives included )

For those of us wanting a catch can it appears that the Mann Hummel Pro vent 200 is the way to go because the efficiency of their filter media and the added safety of a relief valve ( in case the water freezes, cold climate issues )

I wish engineers would find an easy solution and implement it at the factory , why are we left to decide if its the right decision ?
If dual injection was the toyota solution , why don't others follow suit ...

ucinn

Staff Member
You are correct , Atkinson is an improvement on the original designs . Could the " fuel additives " in the service procedure aid in cleaning the valves , or is it redundant with high end fuels ( additives included )

For those of us wanting a catch can it appears that the Mann Hummel Pro vent 200 is the way to go because the efficiency of their filter media and the added safety of a relief valve ( in case the water freezes, cold climate issues )

I wish engineers would find an easy solution and implement it at the factory , why are we left to decide if its the right decision ?
If dual injection was the toyota solution , why don't others follow suit ...
Cost prohibitive is my guess why others didn't follow. It's not as much of a deal as when the GDI first came out. With better fuel additives and much better oils, the build up is much less than the early models.

OP
loweboy

loweboy

Thread Starter #14
I figured the same , the almighty dollar .
Are the additives enough to negate the catch can ? I wish we had some real world testing available .

Interested an following. Be interesting to see how much oil gets caught in this cars.