Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Sport mode not shifting, lingering at high RPM

Slack697

Does anyone else have an issue with the Telluride lingering at high RPM's, not shifting when accelerating in sport mode? Even when i completely remove my foot off accelerator it takes a while to shift into the next gear.

OP
S

Slack697

Thread Starter #3
I completely understand what sport mode is, and the EXCESSIVE lingering without upshifting even after removing my foot completely off the accelerator my guess is not normal. I am trying to confirm if anyone else's telluride takes almost 5 seconds to upshift doing the same thing? This also happens in smart mode as if you step on it it goes into sport mode.

ucinn

Staff Member
It shifts based on RPM.. In my stinger it is around 2500 RPMs and does the same.. if you are not making it to 2500 RPMs it's not shifting to the next gear regardless of where your foot is on the gas. Same with my Mustang... seems normal to me when in sport mode. If it does this in comfort or eco, then yes, you would have a problem.

OP
S

Slack697

Thread Starter #5
So I am referring when getting on it, like when passing someone at 5,000 plus RPM. Is it normal that when you have completed passing someone and realize you are well over the speed limit, so you take your foot off the accelerator completely and even use the brake slightly for it not to upshift for at least 5 seconds? Every vehicle I have ever had seems like under the same scenario it would up shift significantly faster with a designed minor lingering in higher RPM.

So I am referring when getting on it, like when passing someone at 5,000 plus RPM. Is it normal that when you have completed passing someone and realize you are well over the speed limit, so you take your foot off the accelerator completely and even use the brake slightly for it not to upshift for at least 5 seconds? Every vehicle I have ever had seems like under the same scenario it would up shift significantly faster with a designed minor lingering in higher RPM.
On my KT, the RPM lingers as well before up/down shifting in sports mode. Other modes are more "responsive" when shifting, except as you stated when in "smart" mode.

ucinn

Staff Member
Yes, the Stinger does the same and so does my Mustang, it's just the way it works. It is made to keep your revs up for instant power. I just use Smart mode on the Telluride. If you floor it, it goes automatically into sport mode. When you let it off, it will go back to comfort, then if you stay off it, it reverts to eco. Best mode for the Telluride IMO.