Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Stains on Door Aluminum Trim

Bruced4

I have some strange staining on the bronze aluminum trim around the windows on my 21 Night Fall Edition after just one year. Dealer says it looks like something it etching it. Car is always garaged and only touchless car washes followed by towel drying. Anyone else have this issue? IMG_1992.jpeg

It can be the soap the car wash is using. It is very different from soap you use at home.

OP
B

Bruced4

Thread Starter #6
I'm sure it is the soap at the car wash, however I have never owned a vehicle where outside trim was affected. I've owned Ford, Toyota, Acura, and Mercedes. None of which ever had car wash soap affect any trim. This appears to be a problem with the anodised aluminum not being properly sealed. I was in the anodising business for years and coloring the anodise is always followed by sealing which closes the pours of the anodise structure. This creates a permanent barrier to protect the colored layer below, which is highly corrosion resistant. This issue is my only disappointment with the Telluride. Proper design and testing at Kia in real world environments (car washes) is obviously not being done when it somes to this trim. If it cannot hold up for a year, it shouldnt meet any design input regarding corrosion resistance. Can you spell RECALL Kia?

Jimbo

Went to my Kia dealer today and they had 5 people look at the stains on the aluminum trim on my 2012 Telluride Night Fall edition. They where all very concerned and they all said stains must be from car wash soap running down on trim. They said there is no recall on problem and had no answer as to what to do.
Whats next ?
Jim

OP
B

Bruced4

Thread Starter #8
Went to my Kia dealer today and they had 5 people look at the stains on the aluminum trim on my 2012 Telluride Night Fall edition. They where all very concerned and they all said stains must be from car wash soap running down on trim. They said there is no recall on problem and had no answer as to what to do.
Whats next ?
Jim
I sent a letter to Kia USA customer care. They received it and sent me a case number. I suggest you do the same.
Bruce

OP
B

Bruced4

Thread Starter #12
Well I finally got resolution. Kia will not cover this trim failure. WHY??? They said it's and environmental issue affecting the trim. I said yes it is.......car wash soap. I guess Kia Night Fall trim cannot withstand car wash soap. WHAT???? Time to go up the food chain. Talk about lousy customer support. It is clear this trim is defective. Any car I have ever owned could go through car washes without the trim getting all blotchy and stained. I ran my Acura MDX through the exact same car wash for 10 years! No issues. This is such a nightmare. Shame on you Kia !!!

Lynz4kjb

I have a 2021 Kia Telluride with Nightfall trim and after about 8 months my trim started to look splotchy. I took it to the dealership multiple times and they told me they couldn't help me. Once they told me it was due to 'acid rain' but I told them my car is in a garage 90% of the time. Then they told me it was from automatic car washes (which I only used 3 times... every time other than those was hand washed). I told them that is garbage and if their vehicle cannot withstand washing then it is defective in my eyes. I contacted Kia corporate and they told me to take it back to the dealership and tell them that corporate said it should be covered under the paint warranty. I've been arguing with them since October 2021. They just replaced my trim this past month. (December 2023) It takes time and patience on your part, but if you are persistent they will cave. This is apparently a major issue with the dark trim. I'm just wondering how long it will take before it becomes a recall. I just hope my new trim doesn't do the same thing....