Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Telluride ISG...is it worth the HYPE?

Bobbytell

RE: The infamous Telluride ISG!
Some owners like it, some don't

So I have read that its basically designed by manufacturers as a gas saving addition.
I also note that Telluride owners are frustrated by inconsistency, myself included.

I read that it is hard on the battery, with all the extra starting?
It takes as much gas to restart as it does to idle for a minute?

Has anyone got an opinion on the above?
Has anyone ever done a test like how much gas the car would burn idling for one hour?

Look forward to hearing from my fellow owners.

I have played with the isg for a while, ultimately I placed a small piece of plastic between the button and center console which saves me from pressing the button every time I drive the car to disengage it.

I do believe it is harder on the battery, but I have no proof of that. It does not save a significant amount of gas, in fact it made no difference for me at all.

I read that a typical car uses about 7 secs of gas on every restart. So, the isg makes sense at long lights, but not stop signs or when a car is in stop and go traffic. Then, if it is harder on the battery, it almost never makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bobbytell

Thread Starter #3
I have played with the isg for a while, ultimately I placed a small piece of plastic between the button and center console which saves me from pressing the button every time I drive the car to disengage it.

I do believe it is harder on the battery, but I have no proof of that. It does not save a significant amount of gas, in fact it made no difference for me at all.

I read that a typical car uses about 7 secs of gas on every restart. So, the isg makes sense at long lights, but not stop signs or when a car is in stop and go traffic. Then, if it is harder on the battery, it almost never makes sense.

thx for reply, I think the car manufactures are on the right track, but it is not perfected, but a selling feature.
When the engine is cold it does not work and for creeping a ahead in a drive thru or very slow traffic mind does not work.
I think it requires a minimum speed of 7k or 5mph us.

I have only had my SX for a month, so will probably leave it for a couple more months then follow your lead.

I think it works well.

Been in cars with this feature in the past and HATED it - very obtrusive and noticeable. On my Telluride, it is not obtrusive and noticeable. Restarts are smooth and quiet. Yes, I can tell the car is off, but it is well executed and no annoying issues like getting cold or hot from the vents turning off when they are on at a high level.

I give it two thumbs up for what it is and have not disabled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had ISG in a Durango we rented in Orlando do last year... totally abysmal! So far finding the concept much more refined in my new 2021 Telluride SX.

I think it works well.

Been in cars with this feature in the past and HATED it - very obtrusive and noticeable. On my Telluride, it is not obtrusive and noticeable. Restarts are smooth and quiet. Yes, I can tell the car is off, but it is well executed and no annoying issues like getting cold or hot from the vents turning off when they are on at a high level.

I give it two thumbs up for what it is and have not disabled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree with this statement, and a lot of other people would too. Just do a search and you will see, unfortunately.

I like my Telluride and Kia in general. In fact, I own a Sorento too, but it is not a perfect car and has flaws. This is one of them.