Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

I've been hearing some rattling noises coming from the rear, can't seem to figure out exactly where its coming from. Anyone else having noise issues? Let's hear your noise complaints.

I hear a rattling on the passenger side when speed gets up to about 65 mph, though it my be the cargo rails, took them off and rattling still there. Also the driver side passenger door has wind noise com (whistling) stating around 30 mph. Car Bought 30 Mar 2020, discovered noise 31 Mar 2020.

KTCanada

Noticing 2 new issues of late which is just making me mad!

1.The second row bench seats are somewhat loose. Even with a little bit of road bumps the bench seems to shake up ( especially the head rests) and it produces a hissing vibrating noise. I can produce the very same sound with the car being switched off and if I just slap/punch the middle row bench then I can distinctly hear the shake/vibration and the sound it produces with it...Seems like the bench seat frame does not have enough support and therefore any slap shakes the entire bench .

2.The second issue I have is that the roof of the car just behind the roof lights rattles when hitting a bump..again you can produce the same sound by slapping right behind the light switch part.

I will take a video of both issues tomorrow and post them here.

Bajagp

My SX developed a rattle from the rear dome light/HVAC control area when going over bumps. I took it in once to have them put some foam in the headliner, only to have that fix the issue for two weeks then it got worse. Then I took it in a second time and they eventually replaced the dome light itself, but the rattle is back. Anybody else figure out a good fix???

Bajagp

Bumping this up as the headliner/rear AC control rattle seems to be a common problem. Has anybody definitively fixed it? My dealer already replaced the AC control assembly once and tried putting padding in there, it still rattles and is quite annoying. I've tried pushing up firmly all around to see if that fixes the issue at all. No dice.

xrxtgr

I had the same rattle coming from the rear end. I emptied everything out of the cargo area to try to isolate it. The noise was still there. I took it back to the dealership and explained all that I had done to isolate it and under what conditions the noise could be heard. The service tech replaced the right rear shock absorber assembly (self leveling) to resolve the problem.

loweboy

Following this thread ..... I too have the headliner /dome light issue . So annoying , and I live on a dirt road to make this worse .

ERM

I purchased a 2021 Telluride SX in August this year. I've noticed a crunching noise in the rear drivers side wheel/wheel well/somewhere that happens when I have people (weight) in the third row seat, or when driving over a dip in the road or taking a right hand turn (not from a stopped position... like a rolling turn). I took it to the dealership in September, but I couldn't recreate the noise (need a car load with me perhaps!). They suggested the wheel liner is rubbing against the tire... which seems weird, and there is no evidence of rubbing on the tire.

Has anyone else noticed this? I do have the self leveling suspension, I'm wondering if it could be from this?

ERM

I'm experiencing the same exact issue ERM. Were you able to resolve the issue?
I have not been able to get this fixed. As my dealer isn't acknowledging it, (need to get back to re-creating the noise before taking it back in) I was hoping someone else on here could give me some insight on what it could be, or if they had any luck with the same issue.

I can replicate the issue every time I make a right turn from a rolling stop (as it makes a sound similar to what you mentioned above). I have the self-leveling suspension as well so I wonder if it could be a strut issue? I know other forums mentioned similar issues/concerns and they had one and/or both struts replaced which resolved the issue. That being said, strut issues at 1,000 miles is a bit concerning :-/

Bajagp

This is enraging. I still have a rattle in the headliner right behind my head. The dealer replaced the climate cluster, said they clipped it in place, put styrofoam in there, still rattled. I shimmed it with construction paper all around and got the rattle to go away temporarily, now it’s back and I’m jamming all kinds of things in there to try to make it go away and it got worse. Has anybody else gotten a real fix to this?????

AnnieM

I've been hearing some rattling noises coming from the rear, can't seem to figure out exactly where its coming from. Anyone else having noise issues? Let's hear your noise complaints.
I'm hearing a squeak/chirping noise from the rear seat area when I drive on a rough road. Dealership tells me they can't replicate it, but I video'd it and let them listen to it. At one point they tried to tell me it was a loose headrest :-(

Jrod75

I also have the rattle in the rear area that sounds like a suspension rattle. On the other Telluride forum I read that one of the owner’s dealers identified it as a clip that is placed too close to the exhaust manifold. The manifold is bouncing against the clip and causing the sound inside the cabin that sounds like a suspension rattle. But the guy never came back to the forum to say whether that was the culprit or not. I’m hoping this is what it is because it sounds like a much easier fix than suspension. Anyone else got anything?

Bajagp

I am still suffering from the 2nd row HVAC/headliner rattle issue. I have taken my 2020 Telluride SX in 4 times to have the rear HVAC cluster/headliner rattle fixed. They have replaced the unit, put foam around it, replaced the headliner, all to no avail. I have shimmed it myself, pushed all around it, and the rattle is incessant. Its so cheaply made. Its frustrating because it is directly behind the front driver/passenger's head. The dealership doesn't seem to be able to fix it. I am about ready to tear it out and just coat everything plastic in double-sided foam tape. Has anybody else actually gotten this sound to stop????

Bajagp

UPDATE:FIXED! After going in for the 5th time on this problem, and having the shop foreman come out with me to the Telluride so that he could actually observe the rattle and not just immediately try to replace the headliner or rear HVAC controls (which they have already done to no avail), they acknowledged the problem and I asked them to please dig a little deeper to find the issue. They discovered a plastic "ring" inside the headliner that had come unglued, and they glued that back. Evidently that was causing the rattling that would not stop. Its not a piece they can replace. Additionally, they put some kind of padding or tape or something else up against the roof to prevent any further rattles from developing. Such a simple an inexpensive fix that makes the car SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE. Its such a nice thing to have my new car feel like a new car again. Hope this helps!!!!

ThatGrip

I have a 2020 SX Prestige ordered in December '19 and delivered in March 2020. Both center row captain chairs have an incredibly irritating repeating vibration that occurs north of 15 mph and upwards to freeway speeds. The noise is intermittent and frequent, particularly on roads with small or large ruts, bumps, etc. Those set off the vibrations which last a couple of seconds. Sometimes the vibrations are grouped together in sets of two or three. The dealership last Spring said others had complained of this and to bring it in so they could share the complaints with the factory. When I had enough initial build quality issues to take the Telly in, they didn't know what I was talking about with the seat noise. A tech sat in the center row and thought the noise came from the transverse bar at the back of the seat base and he felt taped it. That did nothing. My son determined that the bottom of the seat cover (the fabric part not the leather) has a seam that rubs against the plastic shroud that covers all of the ugly bits of the seat cover and chair frame on both the inside and outside of the center row seats. It's clearly a design flaw, one which is slowly driving me mad. The dealer and head of service say Kia won't be interested as the rule in noise issues is that if you can't hear the noise with the radio playing at a moderate volume, it isn't a problem. That of course is the stupidest thing I've ever heard but what can I do about it? I actually did record the noise with and without the radio playing and it's clearly evident over the radio unless it's sort of loud; I've attached two files of that. Forgive Xavier Cugat and whoever is singing. Also, note that I recorded this from the front seat area so the complaint can't be made that I stuck the phone near the source of the noise. If anyone has the same issue I would love to hear about it. It is real, visible and aural and reproduceable easily all of the time.

Two other issues I've noted, when the center row seats are down, a horrible metal squeaking noise is heard when the Telluride goes over bumps. It isn't all of the time, the squeak being dependent on temperature and maybe something else? The second problem is that over several months of ownership, the rear split bench seat backs no longer line up. It's a minor problem but again, very irritating. A car with barely 7,000 miles on the odo should not have a bench seat that is anything but perfectly in line. The tech guy said, "well if you're looking for perfection you won't find it on cars that cost twice as much," to which I said that the rear seats in my Honda Odyssey with 125K on the clock still looks perfect. He even replicated the issue on a brand new Telluride in his shop and showed it to me as though seats not lining up on ANOTHER new Telluride proves that it isn't somehow a problem. Fit and finish issues are a part of car ownership, but these things seem to point to Kia being way below the Japanese in QC and frankly below Ford and GM.

Attachments

BRBCPA

I am having the same issue. It is a thumping noise coming from the rear when going over any bump. The dealer says they think it might be the shocks. I just had to pay for a wheel alignment because the rear camber was way off. I hope the two are not related. The thump is starting to drive me nuts.