Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Tire Sidewall Blew out

tyson3371

On the highway last weekend my tire blew out. There was no damage to the car or any injury but my tire is done for. Does anyone know if a full sized spare will fit in place of the original spare tire? The KIA dealer says tire warranty issues are handled by the tire manufacturer and Michelin says to take it to an authorized dealer to have them check it our. We didn't hit anything on the road so I think its a faulty tire.
Tire.jpg

Glad you and the family are all right. A full size tire won't fit underneath. If you take a look down there, the temporary spare squeezes in there pretty tight.

Were you carrying a full vehicle?

Lucky you didn’t have rim damage

Looks like road debris cut. It sliced into the top and cut down the sidewall.

Looks like road debris cut. It sliced into the top and cut down the sidewall.
Yea, it does look like that, but will be interesting to see what Michelin says. You'll have a tough time getting them to agree to a tire defect. On my old BMW 750 with 20" rims and run flat tires, I developed bubbles on 2 tires on the side walls. Both BMW and the tire manufacture (I think it was Goodyear) said they were damaged because I hit something (I.e. pot hole, etc) even though the rim had no damage (these were very low profile tires). Good luck and hopefully you'll get some reimbursement!

I agree it does look like there's a slice right above the "H". Still keep us updated on what Michelin says.

Yea, it does look like that, but will be interesting to see what Michelin says. You'll have a tough time getting them to agree to a tire defect. On my old BMW 750 with 20" rims and run flat tires, I developed bubbles on 2 tires on the side walls. Both BMW and the tire manufacture (I think it was Goodyear) said they were damaged because I hit something (I.e. pot hole, etc) even though the rim had no damage (these were very low profile tires). Good luck and hopefully you'll get some reimbursement!
Same problem on my wife’s Mini. Glad to be done with that car.

There's no room underneath for anything bigger than the OEM spare.

OP
T

tyson3371

Thread Starter #11
The nice people at Costco convinced me that the blowout was due to a road hazard. After the tire was off and we looked closer it does seem like we ran over something that sliced up the side of the tire from the tread and then pushed though the sidewall. Whatever it was had to be small because we did not see anything in the road to avoid and nothing laying around after the fact. I ended up getting 4 new tires because everyone around is out of stock for the OEM tire. Ill order a new one and let it sit until the new set wears out.
tire-rip.jpg

rynoyes

The nice people at Costco convinced me that the blowout was due to a road hazard. After the tire was off and we looked closer it does seem like we ran over something that sliced up the side of the tire from the tread and then pushed though the sidewall. Whatever it was had to be small because we did not see anything in the road to avoid and nothing laying around after the fact. I ended up getting 4 new tires because everyone around is out of stock for the OEM tire. Ill order a new one and let it sit until the new set wears out.
View attachment 581 [/QUO

TE]
just an Fyi to everyone else, If you go to discount tire you can buy road hazard for tires that came on your car from the factory, obviously before you hit something

What do they charge for the road hazard?

poriggity

What do they charge for the road hazard?
It depends on the size of the tire, but it's usually between 20 and $35 per tire. I buy all of my tires through discount/Americas tire. They are hands down the best place to get tires.

Side story, I had a tire on my Hyundai accent get sidewall damage. I took it to discount tire, and apparently, when I had discount tire put these tires on my car, I failed to put the road hazard on the tire.. so I thought I'd be stuck paying for a new tire. One of the guys came out and after some discussion said "you have a good purchase history with us, so I'll tell you what, I'll put road hazard on these tires for you even though the damage is already done". Saved me a good chunk of change. I wont buy tires anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you. Great to see businesses that support loyal customers.

It depends on the size of the tire, but it's usually between 20 and $35 per tire. I buy all of my tires through discount/Americas tire. They are hands down the best place to get tires.

Side story, I had a tire on my Hyundai accent get sidewall damage. I took it to discount tire, and apparently, when I had discount tire put these tires on my car, I failed to put the road hazard on the tire.. so I thought I'd be stuck paying for a new tire. One of the guys came out and after some discussion said "you have a good purchase history with us, so I'll tell you what, I'll put road hazard on these tires for you even though the damage is already done". Saved me a good chunk of change. I wont buy tires anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On the highway last weekend my tire blew out. There was no damage to the car or any injury but my tire is done for. Does anyone know if a full sized spare will fit in place of the original spare tire? The KIA dealer says tire warranty issues are handled by the tire manufacturer and Michelin says to take it to an authorized dealer to have them check it our. We didn't hit anything on the road so I think its a faulty tire.
View attachment 555
——————————-
Oct 22,21
I have a 2020 Kia Telluride. I already replaced one tire for a bubble in sidewall.

I had approx 2 months of my car pulling slightly to the right and after having an alignment last week that didn’t fix the issue.
Yesterday, my car started making a noise that sounded like a flat tire. I got out of my car walked around it looking at all the tires, all looked normal. Minutes later the tire light came on, and as I tried to drive to a safe location I had a complete blowout (on the freeway without a shoulder).

The rim is intact all the way around with 2inches of tire left around the edge. This appears to be a manufacturer defect that could have caused a major accident.

I hope this post gets to the attention of Kia and the tire manufacturer….

1634915094501.jpeg