Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Towing package with hitch

Lpanoz

Any news on when I can get a 23 Telluride with the tow package?

Sqrob

My dealership sold me the tow hitch and installed it on my 2023 X-Pro
I figured that I was good to go until I learned that they don't sell/install the wiring harness due to the fire recall on 2020-2022 models.

I now have the most expensive tow-equipped KIA which can't legally tow a trailer.

I guess we'll have to wait for KIA to fix the recall on previous model years.

OP
L

Lpanoz

Thread Starter #3
They want to sell me one with no guarantee that I could tow my boat and wave runners

Sqrob

My only concern is that KIA can void any warranty on the vehicle, because it is aftermarket.

OP
L

Lpanoz

Thread Starter #7
What is the Magnuson Moss Act? According to the Act, an automobile manufacturer cannot void your vehicle warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts. Unless the aftermarket part that caused the vehicle failure or contributed to it

OP
L

Lpanoz

Thread Starter #9
Unbelievable and dealers have no clue….. I need a tow package

Garry

I sent a letter to KIa asking why they have not fixed this issue / why has it taken this long to do an hours worth of work to build a plug an play harness for the Telluride tow pkg and also for the Telluride with out tow pkg.....?

OP
L

Lpanoz

Thread Starter #12
I sent a letter to KIa asking why they have not fixed this issue / why has it taken this long to do an hours worth of work to build a plug an play harness for the Telluride tow pkg and also for the Telluride with out tow pkg.....?
It’s my understanding it has to do with tailgate latch… when the telluride “equipped with a hitch” gets rear ended the tailgate pops open. The NHTSA does not like that. No hitch will be offered until 2024….

Sqrob

Lpanoz,
My dealer installed the hitch on my 2023. It is the wiring harness for a trailer that they can't supply.

It’s my understanding it has to do with tailgate latch… when the telluride “equipped with a hitch” gets rear ended the tailgate pops open. The NHTSA does not like that. No hitch will be offered until 2024….
😯

bctmst

As far as voiding a warranty ... There is a federal law that no car manufacturer can void a warranty for any after market parts unless they can PROVE that the actual after market part caused the issue (i.e. if you buy an aftermarket wiring harness that catches on fire, Kia is not liable - and shouldn't be). I refuse to buy any wiring harness that requires splicing of cables. I have seen that there is an available harness that goes to a 4 pin flat connector for the trailer for an extremely high $220. But I want to have the 7 pin round connector (with a 4 pin flat ambilical). Those are available in Canada from a Hyundai dealer - part S8F67-AC800 - will cost about $167 + $80 for shipping and they are on backorder. I don't need mine right now and I don't like paying $80 for shipping.

Finally!

August 31, 2023 To: All Kia Dealers Re: 2023-2024MY Telluride Tow Hitch Kit Availability As you are aware, Kia America, Inc. (KUS) has been unable to offer a tow hitch & harness for the 2023 Model Year (MY) Telluride due to complications impacting rear hatch functionality. This situation left many Telluride customers waiting for the release of a compatible tow hitch kit. I am pleased to report that a Dealer Installed Option (DIO) accessory Tow Hitch Kit is now available for 2023 and 2024 MY Tellurides. Model Year 2023 and early MY 2024 (produced before October 2023) Tellurides will require Tailgate Latch replacement when installing a Tow Hitch Kit to comply with testing standards. To promote customer satisfaction, KUS will absorb the incremental cost of the parts and labor for the Tailgate Latch Assembly (81800S9600CCC and 81800S9500CCC) from the 2022 MY DIO Tow Hitch for the affected vehicles for a limited time. Tow Hitch Kits have been created for both power and manual closing hatches as shown below: Tailgate Type Trims Tow Hitch Kit P/N Manual Closing LX & S S9TOW-MANUA Power Closing EX, EX X-Line, SX, SX-Line, SX X-Pro, SXP, SXP X-Line, SXP X-Pro S9TOW-POWER 2 Kia America, Inc. | Corporate Headquarters 111 Peters Canyon Road, Irvine, CA 92606 USA T +1 949.468.4800 When placing customer orders for these kits, the dealership will receive three (3) separate boxes which will include the following:  Tow Hitch with Bumper Cover  Towing Harness  Tailgate Latch Assembly Please ensure that your Service Department is aware that the Tailgate Latch MUST BE replaced with the provided part when the tow hitch is installed. You can reference the parts bulletin (Parts Bulletin MI-23-31) on this topic for further ordering and installation instructions. You are encouraged to begin contacting your impacted Telluride customers today! Sincerely, Greg Silvestri Vice President, Service and Aftersales Operations Kia America, Inc.

cetanorak

So those of us who purchased the top-of-line 2023 XS Prestige X-Pro will have to spend another $1500 to get a hitch and make use of all of the thus far useless on-board towing technologies????

So those of us who purchased the top-of-line 2023 XS Prestige X-Pro will have to spend another $1500 to get a hitch and make use of all of the thus far useless on-board towing technologies????

Yes, because when you purchased your 2023 SX Prestige X-pro, you couldn't order a hitch as a PIO and it wasn't available as a DIO. Now that you have your car already, the only option is the DIO option. But at least it's finally available.

And it shouldn't be $1500. At least for now, it is supposed to be at 2022 parts and labor cost. I'm getting it for about $900 including taxes. I've seen a wide range of costs - mostly because of labor cost. But definitely check with your dealer and make sure you let them know you know about the memo from corporate that states it should be at 2022 prices and you know it takes less than 2 hours labor.

Attachments

bctmst

You can now get the tow hitch harness in the US at Kia Parts online, part number S9F67-AC701CCC for $137.98 + $14.82 for expedited shipping (strange ... standard shipping was $35). Sure beats paying $80 to ship from Canada. This is the 7 pin harness.