Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Towing with the Telluride

Kcd

Can anyone post pics of their Telluride towing a travel trailer. If you do have a setup, I would like to know your trailer’s tongue weight and gross weight. If you are towing with the KIA, I would also like to know MPG and how it tows at various speed, elevations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Kcd

Can anyone post pics of their Telluride towing a travel trailer. If you do have a setup, I would like to know your trailer’s tongue weight and gross weight. If you are towing with the KIA, I would also like to know MPG and how it tows at various speed, elevations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Kcd
I see you posted this over a year ago so not sure if this will help now. I hope you have found your answers. I am also looking for more info.
We just bought a TT (4,600 lbs). Brought it home which was a 3 hour drive. Averaged 15 mpg.
I've never tried anything that big so I can't really compare. I didn't have any problems but I did notice that the Rpm was at least 3k most of the time. I'm not sure if that normal when towing something like this.
I am also curious about driving up mountains since my dad wants to take a trip to WV.

This info may be a little late, but here goes. Purchased a 2021 Kia Telluride EX. AWD with tow package in April, 2021 with a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. max. We tow a 21 foot (front to back) TT (3167 lbs. dry weight), and about 3900 lbs.(tops) with all our equipment i.e. bedding, food, camping equipment, etc (Literally weighed everything that went into trailer). TT is equipped with two lithium batteries and two propane tanks. We do not travel with any water in the tanks. Tongue weight is about 420 lbs. We have a weight distribution hitch and use the Curt Echo ebrake system connected to our 7pin. Our most recent trip included some mountain travel (nothing over 5,000-6,000 feet evaluation) and we averaged about 12 miles per gallon. Everything I've read recommends not towing over 80% of your vehicle's tow capacity. Hope this info is of some help to you. Enjoy your TT and safe travels.

I recently had to tow a non-running Ford Ranger to a buyer about 45 minutes away from me. My car trailer has an empty weight of 1,600lbs, and the curb weight of the Ranger is just shy of 3,000lbs, so coming in at 4,600lbs total (give or take), which is still a little under the advertised max. Let me tell you right up front, I will never haul that much weight with the Telluride again. It struggled so much more than it should have, especially going up normal sized hills (for Pennsylvania), and holding onto 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears until 5,000rpm or more. I know it won't take too much of this kind of towing before things start breaking, or wearing out at an accelerated rate. One of the main buying points for us was to have something to haul the family around AND to haul my Nova to car shows and cruises that were hours away. I know without a doubt right now that these Tellurides were not made to haul 5,000lb every weekend in the summer. Maybe a few times in their life, in a pinch, but that's it. It has been hauling our approx. 3,300lb pontoon around fairly decently, although it does tend to drag out gears a little more than I'd like (towing mode isn't a driving option of course - since I don't think that it was ever designed around towing specifically). We'll probably be listing it for sale over the winter and just get an Expedition with the EcoBoost engine or a Suburban, or something more capable of towing. Such a shame though. My wife loves the Telluride otherwise (although I have reservations about a half dozen other things I don't like about it, other than looks), so she is hesitant to sell it, but we can't afford to have a different vehicle for each different activity we want to be involved in...

I recently had to tow a non-running Ford Ranger to a buyer about 45 minutes away from me. My car trailer has an empty weight of 1,600lbs, and the curb weight of the Ranger is just shy of 3,000lbs, so coming in at 4,600lbs total (give or take), which is still a little under the advertised max. Let me tell you right up front, I will never haul that much weight with the Telluride again. It struggled so much more than it should have, especially going up normal sized hills (for Pennsylvania), and holding onto 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears until 5,000rpm or more. I know it won't take too much of this kind of towing before things start breaking, or wearing out at an accelerated rate. One of the main buying points for us was to have something to haul the family around AND to haul my Nova to car shows and cruises that were hours away. I know without a doubt right now that these Tellurides were not made to haul 5,000lb every weekend in the summer. Maybe a few times in their life, in a pinch, but that's it. It has been hauling our approx. 3,300lb pontoon around fairly decently, although it does tend to drag out gears a little more than I'd like (towing mode isn't a driving option of course - since I don't think that it was ever designed around towing specifically). We'll probably be listing it for sale over the winter and just get an Expedition with the EcoBoost engine or a Suburban, or something more capable of towing. Such a shame though. My wife loves the Telluride otherwise (although I have reservations about a half dozen other things I don't like about it, other than looks), so she is hesitant to sell it, but we can't afford to have a different vehicle for each different activity we want to be involved in...
I'm buying a 4000lb boat with a 900lb trailer.

Looks like once I tow it to the lake, the boat is staying at the lake.

I wanted a truck that could tow the boat as a necessity, not with regularity. So I might be ok.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Just towed my 5000 lb boat 90 miles from dealer to home.

It doesn't get up to speed well, but once at speed it tows fine.

Averaged about 10mpg while traveling around 70 mph, through Ohio river valley down to Lexington, KY.

It can search for gears a bit when on the hills, jumping between 5th and 6th. Hovered around 3000rpm for most of the time.

I don't have the tow package, only the hitch, so it squats a little when hooked up.

Just towed my 5000 lb boat 90 miles from dealer to home.

It doesn't get up to speed well, but once at speed it tows fine.

Averaged about 10mpg while traveling around 70 mph, through Ohio river valley down to Lexington, KY.

It can search for gears a bit when on the hills, jumping between 5th and 6th. Hovered around 3000rpm for most of the time.

I don't have the tow package, only the hitch, so it squats a little when hooked up.
I don't have the towing package either. My dealer didn't inform me about the load leveling shocks that came with the factory towing package, so I didn't realize it wouldn't be the same with an aftermarket hitch and the wire harness. Kinda pissed about it now though. Switching the shocks is not cheap, and I haven't found an aftermarket helper spring or air bag system made for the telluride yet. It looks embarrassing and amateur going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were going to tow every weekend, I would have bought a different tow vehicle.

If I had time to order my Telly, I would have, for the tow package.

I found this one on a lot on a Sunday and bought it, since it had the hitch and wiring.

It's not the best tow vehicle but it's enough to get me by, which is exactly what I needed.