Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Where is the horn?

Anyone have any idea where the horn is? And how to get to it? I have a single train horn that I took off my FJ Cruiser and want to put it on the Telluride but have to find the OEM horn first...and then have to figure out how to get behind the grill and in front of the radiator (i'm guessing the horn is in that area) to mount it.

There are two of them and they're mounted on the sides of the radiator next to the headlights. You have to remove the bumper to get to the horns.

OP
GeordieLaforge
Thread Starter #5
Umm...I hope I don't have to remove the bumper in that manner??? :( Dare I ask what happened to the other vehicles? Still trying to figure out how to remove it. But thanks for posting where they are...sure don't sound like 2 horns.

Umm...I hope I don't have to remove the bumper in that manner??? :( Dare I ask what happened to the other vehicles? Still trying to figure out how to remove it. But thanks for posting where they are...sure don't sound like 2 horns.
I'm not sure what happened to those vehicles, I found the photos on copart.com which I'm always on there browsing for deals.

OP
GeordieLaforge
Thread Starter #7
I'm not sure what happened to those vehicles, I found the photos on copart.com which I'm always on there browsing for deals.
Well, it certainly looks like a rather drastic way to remove the front end. It looks like the radiator cover and complete front end are all one piece. What a pain to get in to!. And I think if I remove the skid plate, the horns will be too high to reach from underneath.

Well, it certainly looks like a rather drastic way to remove the front end. It looks like the radiator cover and complete front end are all one piece. What a pain to get in to!. And I think if I remove the skid plate, the horns will be too high to reach from underneath.
The grill does detach from the bumper but you have to remove the bumper to be able to detach it lol.

ucinn

Staff Member
Sounds like the Sorento, The whole bumper,grill,and radiator cover was all one piece that got removed together.

Curious if you thought about tapping through the fuse box in the engine compartment instead of the horn itself. I circled the Horn fuse.
kia-telluride-fuse-box.jpg

OP
GeordieLaforge
Thread Starter #12
Curious if you thought about tapping through the fuse box in the engine compartment instead of the horn itself. I circled the Horn fuse.
View attachment 1903
I actually did think about it but I have to install the air horn and there's no room under the hood. Hopefully there's room behind the grill.

skreetrod

Did anyone ever crack the code on this? I want to install a train horn, but donā€™t want a secondary switch.

OP
GeordieLaforge
Thread Starter #14
Did anyone ever crack the code on this? I want to install a train horn, but donā€™t want a secondary switch.
I already knew where it was but getting to it was the issue. The horns are mounted on either side of the radiator and the only way to get to the wires (unless you have super tiny hands and can reach in) is to remove the front bumper/grill. Not super difficult but a pain in the a**. I attached my single train horn (there's not really room for more than that) to the tray in front/under the radiator and if you were to look carefully, you can see it through one of the front air vents. 20200807_114133.jpg 20200807_070610.jpg

I already knew where it was but getting to it was the issue. The horns are mounted on either side of the radiator and the only way to get to the wires (unless you have super tiny hands and can reach in) is to remove the front bumper/grill. Not super difficult but a pain in the a**. I attached my single train horn (there's not really room for more than that) to the tray in front/under the radiator and if you were to look carefully, you can see it through one of the front air vents. View attachment 2859 View attachment 2860
Please videos and nice job(y)(y)(y)

OP
GeordieLaforge
Thread Starter #16
Please videos and nice job(y)(y)(y)
I didn't take any videos. Was to busy installing the horn and brush guard. You pop the pins at the radiator cover, 3 in the wheel wells plus 1 screw and about 8 bolts under the front end of the car. Then grab the bumper at the wheel well and start pulling...there is one clip around the bottom of the headlight that you have to pull hard to release. All the diagrams are in the service manual.

eos. Was to busy inst
I didn't take any videos. Was to busy installing the horn and brush guard. You pop the pins at the radiator cover, 3 in the wheel wells plus 1 screw and about 8 bolts under the front end of the car. Then grab the bumper at the wheel well and start pulling...there is one clip around the bottom of the headlight that you have to pull hard to release. All the diagrams are in the service manual.
thanks for explaining and one more thing where you got the service manual as am looking for one

OP
GeordieLaforge
Thread Starter #18

Attachments

I found the service manual online....had to pay for a 72hr access and printed out the pages I needed. I signed up an account at this website: Kia Global Information System (KGIS) (snapon.com) . Or you can buy one here 2020 Kia Telluride repair manual (factory-manuals.com) though I know nothing about that site. Maybe these will help.
This is really helpful, thank you! Did you add you train horn to the OEM ones, or replaced them? I'm trying to figure out what to do, and I can't even find info on what type of connectors the OEM have. Ideally I would need to remove the aftermarket horn (considering either a Stebel Nautilus or a Wolo 419 Bad Boy) before returning my lease, so I prefer not to splice cables so it'll be easy to reconnect the OEM. I saw this site which made me wonder if the Telluride uses a special connectors for its horns:
1623986546221.png
Do I need to get such an adapter? I would really appreciate your help with the wiring configuration. Thanks!

Another doubt I have is the fact that the dealer mentioned that something as simple as replacing the horn would be enough for KIA to refuse honoring the warranty if anything were to fail (related to electrical). That really ticks me off! I have a Nissan Leaf which I had to add a double horn to its OEM as it was so low it was a safety hazard. Nobody could hear the horn in traffic. My bicycle's horn was louder than the Leaf's OEM horn (literally!). So I said screw it and spliced the wires and added a double horn, for a total of 3! Sure as hell everyone can hear it now and the warranty just expired and luckily nothing happened. The Telluride's seems nowhere near as bad as the Leaf's - although it can definitely use an upgrade :) , so need to consider if it's worth the risk, especially with so many owners having different issues, and KIA's poor track record accommodating customers. Would love to see what others think.