Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

wind sound from driver side back passenger door

Sue smart

Anyone experience a wind sound coming from their drivers side back passenger door/window? This occurs on the freeway at approx 60mph or faster. It sounds as if the window is not rolled up all the way. It has been to the Kia service department 2 times with no resolve. The service department has driven my car over 100 miles and they hear it, but have now deemed it “characteristic of the car”. We have the EX V6 model.

Anyone experience a wind sound coming from their drivers side back passenger door/window? This occurs on the freeway at approx 60mph or faster. It sounds as if the window is not rolled up all the way. It has been to the Kia service department 2 times with no resolve. The service department has driven my car over 100 miles and they hear it, but have now deemed it “characteristic of the car”. We have the EX V6 model.
A design defect is not acceptable by calling it a characteristic of the vehicle.

This sounds like either a seal is defective or the door may not be quite properly installed.

Try another Kia dealer for service.

Take another telluride out for a test drive and see if it has the problem.

One of the ways to check if a seal is tight enough is to take a dollar bill, close it in the door and see if it's tight or loose by trying to pull it out. You would need to do this all along the seal.

A way to pinpoint the location without having to check the whole seal would be to take a plastic tube stick one end by your ear and move it along the seal and listen for the air leak. This would also be useful to know where to inspect the seal carefully.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sue smart

Thread Starter #4
Kia service replaced the seal and still having the issue, they also used painters tape along the door and still heard the noise. They indicate that the other telluride on the lot does the same sound, which still indicates a manufacturing defect. Thank you for the input, I will try the plastic tube test myself. I will go drive the other telluride as well, but still not acceptable sound, I am constantly wanting to roll the back window up, but it is up... Just frustrating after two months and nothing resolved.

Even at 80mph there are no wind noise issue on my SX.

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
Everyone has a different standard for wind noise. If the other telluride sounds the same than it's not a defect and just you. I would agree that there is wind noise at certain speeds, but I'm also coming from owning mercedes, bmws, and audis where they have better sound proofing.

My weekender is a G55 AMG. That thing is a tank and I get zero wind or road noise.

JnJRegan

Bought our Telluride Tuesday. We had test drove one back in May and noticed no noise. The one I purchased on Tuesday has a wind noise on the drivers side door only. Ours is an S.

I have an EX and I have no wind noise. Personally, it's the quietest SUV I have ever owned or driven.

Frustrating to hear the issue described as a "characteristic of the car", hope there is some resolution for you.

Optimos

Bought our Telluride Tuesday. We had test drove one back in May and noticed no noise. The one I purchased on Tuesday has a wind noise on the drivers side door only. Ours is an S.
I have EX model with a wind noise to

RoadToy

MORE WHISTLING FOLLOW-UP: So I went to the dealer today for an A-pillar trim replacement. While there we poked and prodded looking for a potential whistle-causing offender.
Here's what we found - on my driver's side rear door - loose trim. Below are pics showing how easily it pulls away. Second pic is what it should look like when pushed flush. Passenger side was tight with absolutely no wiggle. The dealer ordered a replacement piece with new clips. Hopefully that's the answer.
The black trim between my doors is tight and perfectly flush, so I don't believe that caused any of the whistling I've heard.
Although I did not purchase the vehicle here where I live, the local dealer (Russ Darrow Kia) has been GREAT about fixing anything and everything I point out.

Attachments

JEA1

MORE WHISTLING FOLLOW-UP: So I went to the dealer today for an A-pillar trim replacement. While there we poked and prodded looking for a potential whistle-causing offender.
Here's what we found - on my driver's side rear door - loose trim. Below are pics showing how easily it pulls away. Second pic is what it should look like when pushed flush. Passenger side was tight with absolutely no wiggle. The dealer ordered a replacement piece with new clips. Hopefully that's the answer.
The black trim between my doors is tight and perfectly flush, so I don't believe that caused any of the whistling I've heard.
Although I did not purchase the vehicle here where I live, the local dealer (Russ Darrow Kia) has been GREAT about fixing anything and everything I point out.
I have the exact same whistling wind noise in my 2020 sx. Only had it two weeks. Dealer told me to bring it in.

Nanookz

I have the wind noise from the driver seat. I thought mine is from the driver window but it maybe from the rear driverside. I took it in today and they said it was done. Drive it home and same problem. I'm going to call them tomorrow and try again. I have thought to take another one to test the sound. Any luck on repairs?

ssj1970

I have the exact same whistling wind noise in my 2020 sx. Only had it two weeks. Dealer told me to bring it in.
I am having the same issue with my 2020 SX...will check the trim tomorrow. Jea1...did fixing the trim eliminate the noise?