Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

2022 Cracked Windshield

Purchased new 2022 Telluride and 12 hrs after purchase a small pebble like object hit the windshield causing it to crack. Ridiculous! Found online Action Law Suit referring 2020 Tellurides defect on windshields as well Kia’s letter to owners dated Nov 2019 stating “good will” effort to repair. Anyone experiencing this problem with 2021 or 2022 Tellurides? Wondering if it’s an ongoing problem or just my bad luck. Dealership unable to find me a replacement part since car is brand new. Windshields not under warranty and will need to pay out of pocket for replacements are eventually available.

ChapmanC

Yes problems with 2021 windshield. 5 chips in 3 incidents in 3000 miles! I have insurance but that is not acceptable for insurance to pay for when it sure seems odd that this has happened. I have files safety concern with NHTSA (so have others). Will be chatting with dealer. Posted and tagged Kia on Twitter. 😳

ChapmanC

I have a 2021 and am having similar issue but the Kia windshield is available. It appears that Kia has had issues with previous years models to the point of extended a warranty on the 2020 ? Model windshields. Just be aware, there appears to be a problem with the glass or design (my opinion). I would add windshield coverage to your insurance…not considered a claim if you need to use and in my case there is no deductible. Bottom line is is annoying. I have 4 chips in 10 weeks! Also go to Kia Consumer affairs and NHTSA pages and lodge concerns. This is how recalls and other corrections happen. I also expressed concern to the dealer.

Yes. My windshield is covered, but I am trying to decide to wait a few more weeks to get the factory unit or have the OEM windshield installed now. According to one of the other posters, the Safelite installer showed them how much thinner the Telluride glass was than other comparable ones. Perhaps this is the problem? Maybe the structural design of the vehicle included a thinner-than-usual windshield component? Not sure, but I hope they can somehow come up with a fix. I just do want to end up replacing it all the time.

Krazy

Wow and I thought that I was the only one that was having a windshield issue same thing a little pebble barely touched my windshield doing 55 mph on a highway and this is the outcome right here It’s a brand new 2022 Telluride I had it for 3 days

Attachments

Stefanzman

Yes, it is crazy, Krazy.

And disconcerting to hear that they have not improved the windshield in the 2022 models. This has been an issue since the 2020 edition. Now the required parts are on worldwide backorder. Can't imagine why .... ?

We have been waiting for ours to be fixed for more than 2 months now.

Still love the car, but this windshield problem needs to a permanent fix from the company. Perhaps a free Gorilla Glass replacement?

Cbaldw10

I just recently bought a 2022 Kia Telluride 7 days ago and while driving on the freeway the windshield shattered in the lower corner of driver side. There was no car in front of me (not a close distance) or near me for that matter and there was no overpass for a rock to have fallen from. My windshield shattered and glass landed in my face and mouth, and all over the inside of my car. I’ve had rocks hit my windshield before but never to the point of causing this kind of damage. This is ridiculous and of course the windshield is on back order and KIA expects me to continue driving around with my windshield like this because they don’t know when they’ll have a windshield available. There is no way it is safe for me to continue driving like this especially when KIA doesn’t even have an estimated date for me to get this repaired.

Attachments

dmcgill

Our 2022 lasted 2 weeks and 900 miles before the windshield cracked starting on the bottom corner on the drivers side.

Didn't make it a month before I am having to replace my windshield!! I came back to my car this evening and found a 10 inch crack starting from the edge of the driver's side. I don't recall anything hitting my windshield so if there was a strike from a rock or debris it had to be fairly minor - shocked that the glass is now destroyed. Really makes me think this is a quality issue with the 2022 Telluride.

Macdawgg

This is SAD news to hear-I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and just keeping my 2020 Highlander. No vehicle should have glass that cracks that easily.

Toonces

Purchased new 2022 Telluride and 12 hrs after purchase a small pebble like object hit the windshield causing it to crack. Ridiculous! Found online Action Law Suit referring 2020 Tellurides defect on windshields as well Kia’s letter to owners dated Nov 2019 stating “good will” effort to repair. Anyone experiencing this problem with 2021 or 2022 Tellurides? Wondering if it’s an ongoing problem or just my bad luck. Dealership unable to find me a replacement part since car is brand new. Windshields not under warranty and will need to pay out of pocket for replacements are eventually available.
2022 Wolf Grey. Delivered Oct 2. Oct 27 , small pebble hit windshield and left a quarter sized spider crack. It wasn’t a loud strike and didn’t seem hard enough to leave any damage.

RLindros65

Same happen to me. Less than 2 weeks old. Small pebble hit windshield and by the time I got home the chip created a crack that ran across the whole window. Just didn’t seem right to crack like that.

My dealer didn't even offer a good-will repair?

Is there a link for information about this class of action lawuite?

Here is my experience with the same windshiled issue.

1. I purchased mine in June 2021 at a premium price with a $3000 markup forced by the dealer. I expected this vehicle at an inflated price is at least tested well in the factory for quality, designed to sustain small 'acts of nature and common road conditions such as speed, weather, insects, water drips, and things like small gravels do not put driver's life in danger.

2. On my first drive (same day as of invoice date in June 2021) on the road, a small object (possibly small gravel) hit the windshield and left a chip. Within few minutes, while I was still driving with my family and kids in the car, the windshield developed a crack and it continued to grow rapidly with a cracking sound. The crack grew to 12-14 inches. The important thing to note here is it is on a busy i-25 highway on a sunny day where one cannot speed up due to busy traffic. The video and images clearly show the original chip is very small and the crack is way too large. This is unusual, and I never had or heard of this experience from any other driver I know. I had similar chips with other vehicles earlier. I never heard about a similar experience with any other vehicle other than Kia where the windshield developed a very long crack immediately making the driver feel the windshield is falling on him. Is this as per Kia quality standards that in a brand new vehicle, glass can chip and break in this way as soon as the vehicle is out on a road?

3. Immediately after this incident, I pulled over at the first safe place and tried calling the dealership. As there was no response, I sent messages to the dealership along with pictures and a recorded video on the same day. Point to be noted - the vehicle did not even have 60 miles at this point.

4. We visited the dealership the next day and they did not provide any resolution nor offered any assistance to get the windshield repaired. They only looked at it from distance and the salesperson gave me a printout of the KIA Customer care numbers and asked me to contact Kia. I had clearly told them that it was a safety issue and not about money, I was ready to pay for replacement if required. So there was an opportunity provided to investigate that was never acknowledged.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 3.00.34 PM.png

5. Response from Kia customer service was received after almost two months and the advice I received here was - "If the vehicle had been left to be diagnosed by the dealership and given Kia America time to review the concern, we could have reviewed for potential goodwill coverage due to the newness of the vehicle". This is totally not understandable and Kia is trying to shy away from responsibility. How can a vehicle be left with a dealership that is not willing to assume any responsibility for it?

6. After this, I recorded another video that I have shared on twitter as well as the dealership where the car had not reached the first 100 miles. I was still hoping to get some reasonable explanation or response from Kia or their dealership. I also had a bad experience with the paint protection that was sold to me and I left a strong review about the leadership on google. Only after this, I only received a phone call from the dealership manager asking me to explain the issue, I never received any other communication.

7. After waiting for 2 weeks to get a resolution and keeping the car in the garage, I found an auto glass repair company to repair this faulty and unsafe glass. I am not sure how safe is this replaced glass with the experience I had with the factory-installed original glass. At this time, I do not feel safe driving this vehicle above 65 mph on the roads with a speed limit of 75 mph with the experience I had with the windshield.
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 3.22.11 PM.png

I am looking for a little help/ guidance. Sorry, if this post is in the incorrect place.
we have a 2021 Kia Telluride S mfg date Dec 16/2020.

The windshield cracked siting in the garage over night.

I went to the dealership it was purchased from, spoke with the service manager, he advised the crack had to come from a tiny tiny pebble. (His words) I said, sir their isn’t any blemishes or chips on the windshield. He said, son glass doesn’t just crack. We looked at the vehicle he said, you have two choices pay out of your pocket or file an insurance claim. I Replied, I won’t file an insurance claim when the windshield has no visible marks for a rock. He advised, Well the. Pay for it but, Kia won’t cover under mfg warranty. I asked about the class action suit. he advised it wasn Accurate and doesn’t affect this model year.

I have attached images hope this helps.
You can see a crack however; it’s slick to the touch Unlike previous chips I have encountered with past vehicles.

thank you for any help or experience you provide.

Attachments

SaffWG

You could try a different dealer to see if they would offer to make things right but I doubt it. You really only have a few choices, turn it in to your insurance ( some insurances have windshield replacement as part of policy) or badger Kia corporate relentlessly to get satisfaction. I personally believe you. The Telluride has a serious problem with the windshield in this vehicle. Please report it to this link. The more it’s brought to attention the better chance to get reimbursed or fixed. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem

I am looking for a little help/ guidance. Sorry, if this post is in the incorrect place.
we have a 2021 Kia Telluride S mfg date Dec 16/2020.

The windshield cracked siting in the garage over night.

I went to the dealership it was purchased from, spoke with the service manager, he advised the crack had to come from a tiny tiny pebble. (His words) I said, sir their isn’t any blemishes or chips on the windshield. He said, son glass doesn’t just crack. We looked at the vehicle he said, you have two choices pay out of your pocket or file an insurance claim. I Replied, I won’t file an insurance claim when the windshield has no visible marks for a rock. He advised, Well the. Pay for it but, Kia won’t cover under mfg warranty. I asked about the class action suit. he advised it wasn Accurate and doesn’t affect this model year.

I have attached images hope this helps.
You can see a crack however; it’s slick to the touch Unlike previous chips I have encountered with past vehicles.

thank you for any help or experience you provide.

Rick26

I have a 2022 Telluride SXP that I took delivery of in January, 2022. Mileage is slightly over 6,000. Wife was driving on the Interstate and said "something" hit the windshield and cracked it. When I looked, it appears that two pebbles or stones (or, ???) hit the glass as I see two small chipped places. One spot cracked to about 12" before she could get home. I'm wondering if the cracking has anything to do with the previously reported windshield propensity to easily crack. Took car to the dealer and they said, (1.) it's not covered by warranty and (2.) we don't replace windshields here. Have received several quotes from 3rd-party glass replacement companies. Highest was $1,963.63 (OEM glass) including tax and $325 to "recalibrate" the new windshield. Lowest was $891.00 plus tax (about $75), using aftermarket glass. They said the new windshield may or may not need to be re-calibrated. Bottom line: I'd like to follow up with KIA "IF" they are forthcoming about windshield issues and giving "good will" repairs. Anybody got a current update to this issue?

eebling

I joined the cracked windshield club today with my 22 telluride S. I got the car in April, started on my first roadtrip last Tuesday(only 3500 miles on the car so far), and today, also Tuesday(and now 6400 miles on the car), I turned onto a road with nearly no traffic, a pickup truck driving towards me on the other side of this little Montana highway kicked up a small pebble or something, and I heard the hit, didn't even sound that loud, I was only going maybe 45 at the time, and there was about a 6 inch crack in my lower left section of the windshield. I was going between Cody wyoming and bozeman Montana and still had about 100 miles to go.

Obviously there were no places to stop to get it fixed, there are almost no towns on these stretches of highway, so by the time I got to the hotel in bozeman, the crack expanded another 4-5 inches.( I marked the end of the crack with tape soon after it occurred to see how much it grew while driving).
The closest kia dealership is back in Billings, a few hours away, and I have hotels already booked In the other direction so can't do anything about it. I found a Walmart in bozeman that has a rain x windshield repair kit I am going to try to use to at least stop the crack from expanding more, but I wouldn't be surprised with the temperature drop tonight if I wake up tomorrow and the crack is even larger.
I am hoping it will hold together till I get back to Florida, but that is 7 days and about 3k more miles of driving until I head home. Even once I do get home, I have no idea what I'm going to do to fix it. I don't want a safelite windshield, I paid a high premium for the car due to "pandemic pricing" and my new car did not come with an aftermarket safelite window, I want it replaced with a kia factory windshield, however with all the problems people have with them, I almost don't even want the kia windshield.!
It's too bad it seems like that corning gorilla glass is not available for the telluride, at least I havent seen it available. I dont know what other options there are for a windshield replacement. Seems like you can either go with safelite or kia... Any other suggestions.? I also paid an extra premium at the dealership for an extended 10 year bumper to bumper but doubt it covers cracked windshields.
I will have to check once home. I would be concerned getting an aftermarket windshield might affect cabin sound levels. Anyone experience anything like that if they got a safelite or similar replacement.? Did your cabin get any louder.?