Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

‘24 Telluride SX Prestige

Psatch

I just bought ‘24 Telluride SX Prestige and I’m concerned about the theft issues related to Kia. I’m wondering if Kia has really resolved this flaw in the newer models? If I need to buy an aftermarket anti theft steering wheel lock, I will! I hate to hassle with a wheel lock if it’s not necessary. Any anecdotal experiences pertinent to this issue?
Psatch

The theft issues are an old issue and are really only a "thing" for cars without the push button start. They've never been an issue for the Telluride which has always had a push button start.

OP
P

Psatch

Thread Starter #3
That’s interesting. Thank you for clarifying this issue for me. I’ve read a fair amount about Kia thefts and I never came upon such a succinct explanation. If you don’t mind my asking how did you discover this?

That’s interesting. Thank you for clarifying this issue for me. I’ve read a fair amount about Kia thefts and I never came upon such a succinct explanation. If you don’t mind my asking how did you discover this?
Pretty much any article or discussion of the theft issue that I've read has mentioned that the cars in question are/were equipped with turn-key ignitions (not push button ignition) that didn't have electronic immobilizers.

While the models mentioned varies (and indeed, the issue seems to span a wide variety of models) and the model years mentioned varies, the issue seems to primarily be in cars prior to 2019 and most often lower end models. While some cars, like my mom's 2013 Kia, do/did have the push button start, apparently there were a large percentage made in those years that did not.

Tellurides were first made in MY2020 and have always had push button start system. They simply haven't been part of the issue. I've never ever seen them mentioned in any article about the thefts.

Here are two articles, but there are so many more:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/22/business/hldi-hyundai-kia-theft/index.html
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40979551/hyundai-kia-car-thefts-tiktok-trend-milwaukee/

OP
P

Psatch

Thread Starter #5
Wow, thank you very much! On the strength of your comments and articles I’m going to return the Club Wheel lock that will be delivered today!
thanks again, Psatch