Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

All Known 2020 Kia Telluride Issues and Complaints

KiaFan

Staff Member
I'm going to start an archive of problems and issues that owners are complaining about with their 2020 Kia Telluride. These issues were mostly shared in this thread https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads/kia-telluride-issues.283/
  • Rear A/C vents randomly turns on.
  • Engine overheating from idle stop/go.
  • Front passenger side door wont open.
  • LED Halo lights become faulty and stop working.
  • Rear wiper cover falls off.
  • Rear captain chair rattles due to loose seat back cover.
  • Rear heat not blowing warm air.
  • Inaccurate GPS / Navigation directions.
  • Water leaking through door sills.
  • Seat seam stitching coming loose.
  • FCA malfunctioning.
  • "Battery discharging due to external devices" error.
  • Seat cushion coming loose.
  • Speaker rattles when listening to XM.
  • Speedometer stopped working.
  • Battery died.
  • Collision Warning malfunctioning due to bad wire-harness.
App & Software Related
  • Kia Connect App defaults to Pacific Time with no way of changing time settings.
  • In-car Weather App requires HD signal to work.
  • Bluetooth Connection issues.

900 miles, just noticed that my front passenger seat has 2 places that are coming unstitched at a seam. Haven't checked the rest, YET!

gmneil

900 miles, just noticed that my front passenger seat has 2 places that are coming unstitched at a seam. Haven't checked the rest, YET!
let us know what they do for that I'm interested to see how they handle their issues.

let us know what hey do for that I'm interested to see how they handle their issues.
Not huge, but better to get it documented now. Took it to my Kia Dealership and they took pictures and said they would submit it to Kia warranty today and should hear something back within 24 hours. I'll update then.

I am not sure anyone reported here but I saw many owners reported this in other forums, that their weather information widget keep saying loading, I know it’s because the weather information is pulled from local HD radio station if owners does have any local HD radio stations then it keep saying loading. So I guess Kia could fix this issue if local HD radio information is missing then use connected smartphone to pull data from either UVO app or somehow other source but it could be fixed easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was reported here https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads/weather-info-not-loading-for-anyone-else.154/

I am not sure anyone reported here but I saw many owners reported this in other forums, that their weather information widget keep saying loading, I know it’s because the weather information is pulled from local HD radio station if owners does have any local HD radio stations then it keep saying loading. So I guess Kia could fix this issue if local HD radio information is missing then use connected smartphone to pull data from either UVO app or somehow other source but it could be fixed easily.

right, but I meant to update this issue in above list.

OP
KiaFan

KiaFan

Staff Member
Thread Starter #8

Thanks Arc, adding now. (y)

I have a small issue when I’m coasting to a stop. Let’s say I’m going about 60 kph (sorry kilometers is the official nonsense in Canada) and seeing a red light far up ahead, I take my foot off the gas pedal, it coasts smoothly along slowing down gradually in a natural way, then when I hit 40 kph the vehicle slows down to 35 kph relatively suddenly as if someone was lightly applying some brakes. From 35 kph it slows down nice and naturally again till it hits another quick slow down somewhere are 15 kph (approximately). At first I thought maybe that’s just the way AWD works and somehow as the transmission is gearing down the changes are very noticeable compared to my Ford without AWD which just decelerates at a very steady even rate all the way to a full stop if allowed to. I was wondering if this is something you have noticed yourself when driving the Telluride? If this is natural I could probably learn to live with it but I am concerned that maybe it’s a problem and if I ignore it it might cause a bigger problem.

I have a small issue when I’m coasting to a stop. Let’s say I’m going about 60 kph (sorry kilometers is the official nonsense in Canada) and seeing a red light far up ahead, I take my foot off the gas pedal, it coasts smoothly along slowing down gradually in a natural way, then when I hit 40 kph the vehicle slows down to 35 kph relatively suddenly as if someone was lightly applying some brakes. From 35 kph it slows down nice and naturally again till it hits another quick slow down somewhere are 15 kph (approximately). At first I thought maybe that’s just the way AWD works and somehow as the transmission is gearing down the changes are very noticeable compared to my Ford without AWD which just decelerates at a very steady even rate all the way to a full stop if allowed to. I was wondering if this is something you have noticed yourself when driving the Telluride? If this is natural I could probably learn to live with it but I am concerned that maybe it’s a problem and if I ignore it it might cause a bigger problem.
Curious what mode were you driving in?

Curious what mode were you driving in?
In general, comfort mode, but to try and zone in on the problem I tried coasting in Eco, Sport and Smart modes as well. The annoying noticeable deceleration was not affected all all by the mode changes.

Happened twice but my driver side door would not close. The first time it happened I did manage to close it but it wouldn't open after - looking outside I noticed the door handle partially popped out (disengaged?). Second time it took a few tries and finally closed. Initially thought maybe my seatbelt was sticking out but it wasn't. Only happened twice over 1,400km of driving.

Flatwhite I noticed my SX does it too. Feels like it is dropping down a gear.

Interesting. I was out riding around today and and basically from 40kph to 20kph something is sticking or dragging and slowing it down far too much that in my opinion it shouldn't be. At 20kph whatever it is releases and then the car is rolling freely and doesn't want too slow down any lower than that at all. We had some pretty strong winds here today so more testing to come. I'm thinking of going for another test drive at the dealer to compare with mine.

Scarlett

Mine is only about a week old. The back window leaks cleaner for the wiper constantly! I always have to wipe until I can get it back up there for a fix. Hopefully it’s an easy fix. ALSO the back up camera SUCKS! It’s so dark. And backing up in the dark in the rain is a joke!

Mine is only about a week old. The back window leaks cleaner for the wiper constantly! I always have to wipe until I can get it back up there for a fix. Hopefully it’s an easy fix. ALSO the back up camera SUCKS! It’s so dark. And backing up in the dark in the rain is a joke!
I agree backup camera is horrible, especially at night. The rear window could be a drainage issue rather than a leak. See if this thread is similar to your leak problem

https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads/dripping-rear-window-washer.323/
https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads/rear-spoiler-and-excessive-water-condensation.198/

I ended up going back to the dealer and test driving another EX and it did do the same thing. So at least it's 'normal'. Not that I like this though. Makes coasting less predictable and since the vehicle slows down quite significantly at around 20kph without the brake lights being on, because I'm coasting, the driver behind me isn't getting the warning I'd like him to be getting. But there you go, it's just the way it is!

3pt8

I ended up going back to the dealer and test driving another EX and it did do the same thing. So at least it's 'normal'. Not that I like this though. Makes coasting less predictable and since the vehicle slows down quite significantly at around 20kph without the brake lights being on, because I'm coasting, the driver behind me isn't getting the warning I'd like him to be getting. But there you go, it's just the way it is!
Did you get a chance to ask anyone at the dealer to see why it's doing that? To me it feels like it's dropping down to a lower gear but I might be wrong.

Did you get a chance to ask anyone at the dealer to see why it's doing that? To me it feels like it's dropping down to a lower gear but I might be wrong.
I spoke with several people, salesman and head of service, but not mechanics or technicians. The head of the service department took my EX for a drive himself and confirmed that he was able to notice what I was talking about. Both suggested that this was normal transmission downshifting. I all can say at this point is I drove another EX and it had the same coasting with sticky points slowing the vehicle down faster than expected at different points. From that test I can say it's normal for the Telluride and I'll learn to live with it, but I don't consider it normal as I never noticed this in any of my other cars throughout my life. And as I stated before it makes it harder for a following vehicle since my SUV slows down faster than normal without brake lights to indicate this since I am coasting.

3pt8

Hopefully they'll get enough complaints and issue a service update.
I spoke with several people, salesman and head of service, but not mechanics or technicians. The head of the service department took my EX for a drive himself and confirmed that he was able to notice what I was talking about. Both suggested that this was normal transmission downshifting. I all can say at this point is a drove another EX and it had the same coasting with sticky points slowing the vehicle down faster than expected at different points. From that test I can say it's normal for the Telluride and I'll learn to live with it, but I don't consider it normal as I never noticed this in any of my other cars throughout my life. And as I stated before it makes it harder for a following vehicle since my SUV slows down faster than normal without brake lights to indicate this since I am coasting.