Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

battery

Does anyone know why they went with a 80ah agm battery, i assume because the vehicle has a smart alternator?

Weight of all components impact gas mileage, acceleration, handling and amount of total emissions produced. So when given the opportunity, everything is being minimized as much as possible.

Batteries are sized based on the cranking power needed to start the engine and some reserve time for extreme cold conditions when the battery output power is less and it is more difficult for the engine to turn over. The other factor is starting the car draws a lot of current from the battery and if you shut it off and start it back up quickly enough times the battery will be dead and not start - as there is no time for the battery to recharge These batteries charge faster, so they don't need to be as large (the reserve is smaller).

In other words, technology doesn't require it to be larger

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Lazer

Most of the cars with Stop/Start (shut off engine) are using AGM batteries

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
does anyone know if the telluride a=has a "smart" alternator? meaning it charges not for constant voltage but for efficiency ?

I take about a month of holidays in the winter to take a break from the snow and cold weather. I though I would mention for those who do the same , you should keep your battery on a trickle charge using an AGM capable battery charger as some electronics are on all the time. If you disconnect the battery you will have to reset all of your settings.
AGM (Absorbing Glass Mat) Batteries are very good lead acid high current capacity non spillage and sealed so a replacement will cost you more than a trickle charger.WARNING do not use a regular lead acid battery charger as you will damage the battery.