Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Car reversed out of garage with no one in the car.

Saturday morning I started my car, forgot I left my charger and went back in the house. My lawn guy starts to scream thinking I was in the car and I come out to find my car has reversed onto an electric transformer. I know it sounds crazy but I had to walk behind the car to go back into the house. So the car was not moving. I hear this was a problem back in 2011. I am not comfortable with this car now

Attachments

Sounds like you spaced and left it in reverse when you got out, we've all been there. If you are saying the car on its own, shifted out of park into reverse, that's a real stretch.....

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like you spaced and left it in reverse when you got out, we've all been there. If you are saying the car on its own, shifted out of park into reverse, that's a real stretch.....
James I have no problem admitting when I have made a mistake but I need answers. Why wasn’t the car moving when I walked behind it to go back in the house? Why did my lawn guy witness a vehicle going too fast to just be drifting? Why did the dash say Park but the gearshift was in drive when my lawn guy looked in the vehicle?

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
James I have no problem admitting when I have made a mistake but I need answers. Why wasn’t the car moving when I walked behind it to go back in the house? Why did my lawn guy witness a vehicle going too fast to just be drifting? Why did the dash say Park but the gearshift was in drive when my lawn guy looked in the vehicle?
You're asking questions only a technician or kia engineer can answer. If you haven't already (which I assume you already did), take it to the dealer to have them evaluate and analyze the computers.

I can only assume it didn't move when you got out and walked behind due to the safety features in the sensors which auto brakes when detecting an obstacle. Who knows.

I'm interested in what the KIA techs have to say but my junior detective ring tells me that there was a malfunction on the dash display making you think the vehicle was in park while the vehicle itself was in gear. Though I'm confused how it drifted backwards with the shift in "D"rive. I'm asuming you parked front side into your garage. I'm also wondering if the car's electronics override the gear shift if it detects a hit.

I think I'll start using my electric parking brake until you report back. Important thing is nobody was hurt.

The electric parking brake automatically disengages when the vehicle is put in gear. If it was put into gear accidentally before getting out (which I suspect the OP did inadvertently), this wouldn't have helped. Its possible that if the car slips into gear, the EPB would also deactivate. My BMW 750 had a feature that if the car was in gear and the drivers door was opened, if the car moved any more than a few inches, it would automatically slam into park. I found this out by trying to back the car up with the door open slightly..

Though I'm confused how it drifted backwards with the shift in "D"rive.
I agree, even if it went from Park to Reverse, I don't see how that would be possible without someone physically overriding the safety lock out system. To shift into gear from "Park" you have to press the brake pedal while pressing the shift lever to disengage the safety system. This was specifically design to prevent someone from accidentally shifting the vehicle in gear.

No matter the cause, sorry for your troubles!

Saturday morning I started my car, forgot I left my charger and went back in the house. My lawn guy starts to scream thinking I was in the car and I come out to find my car has reversed onto an electric transformer. I know it sounds crazy but I had to walk behind the car to go back into the house. So the car was not moving. I hear this was a problem back in 2011. I am not comfortable with this car now
ok, maybe you have a point!

ok, maybe you have a point!
Not really, this issue was that it was possible to shift the car out of park without applying the brake, not that it did this on its own. Probably the closest issue was the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I previously owned, where the gear shift lever did not really move much when shifting so it was possible to think the car was in park when it in fact was not.

asht3

That happened with Audi many years ago. They would shift from park into drive and run over their owners. One lady was killed and Audi got the heck sued out of them. I would be on the phone with Kia Corporate and the Dealership and possibly not drive it until they took a hard look at it. Glad that you and your Lawn Guy are safe.

The Audi case was far more complicated.

Here is the short version:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/autos/11-of-historys-most-infamous-automotive-scandals/

Here is the long version:
https://www.autosafety.org/audi-sudden-acceleration/

A tremendous amount of research has been put into Unintended Sudden Acceleration by quite a few countries, all of which has concluded driver error as the most likely cause. And most commonly occurs in new or unfamiliar vehicles.

Fortunately there are enough data recording devices on the cars today to make trouble shooting and resolving any potential problems much easier.

Good read on the Audi issues, I remember that controversy. It dealt with sudden accelerations with someone in the car confusing the brake and accelerator pedals, and led to the now universal brake/shift interlock feature. Yes, back in the dark ages (pre 1985) you could start and shift a car without applying the brakes....How did we survive?

Good read on the Audi issues, I remember that controversy. It dealt with sudden accelerations with someone in the car confusing the brake and accelerator pedals, and led to the now universal brake/shift interlock feature. Yes, back in the dark ages (pre 1985) you could start and shift a car without applying the brakes....How did we survive?
Indeed! And I believe its also why we have to press the clutch to start a manual transmission here in America as well.

Was a good podcast a few years back about the whole Unintended Sudden Acceleration issue. They tried many times to see if accelerator would ever override the break. Never worked even at WOT.
So when in doubt mash the brake pedal...if you can find it.

But now I always take a few extra moments to fully familiarize myself with any car that isn't my daily driver before I drive. Muscle memory is hard to overcome in a panicky situation.

Gerri M

I have just had a similar issue. I’ve been driving all my life and never an issue even with the automatics that I’ve owned until I buy an auto proceed shooting brake. It was on my front drive facing the house with engine running. It was in park with auto handbrake on when I got out to get something. I managed to walk around the open drivers door to my house when the car started to reverse up the driveway to the road. The only thing that stopped it was the brick pillar by the footpath that got caught on the driver’s open door otherwise it would have reversed into the road or across to a neighbours house!! How can a car move like that on its own even with the door wide open and no one in it??

I have just had a similar issue. I’ve been driving all my life and never an issue even with the automatics that I’ve owned until I buy an auto proceed shooting brake. It was on my front drive facing the house with engine running. It was in park with auto handbrake on when I got out to get something. I managed to walk around the open drivers door to my house when the car started to reverse up the driveway to the road. The only thing that stopped it was the brick pillar by the footpath that got caught on the driver’s open door otherwise it would have reversed into the road or across to a neighbours house!! How can a car move like that on its own even with the door wide open and no one in it??
Sorry that this happened to you, but did this happen with a Telluride? It doesn't look like a Telluride from your pictures, so you should clarify that point.

Gerri M

Sorry that this happened to you, but did this happen with a Telluride? It doesn't look like a Telluride from your pictures, so you should clarify that point.
No, it’s a Kia Proceed 1.4 shooting brake - brand new.