Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Engine lifespan

I use Top Tier gas only should I go back to 87 with e10 or mid grade 89 with e5 or 91 with 0 ethanol. Dealer recommend 6,000 Km oil change as opposed to 12,000 Km according to the owners manual.
Spoke to my dealership mechanic today. The reason for the severe use maintenance service is due to my use and location's type of weather. They use Castrol Edge full Synthetic oil between every 6,000 to 8,000 Km and at every 32,000Km they do an Upper Cylinder pressure clean with the engine running for an extra $150.00 which takes about 3/4 to 1 hr. I did some research and found this maintenance would keep the engine running at optimal efficiency and longevity. This would take care of the inevitable carbon build up on the intake valves therefore eliminate potential problems or possible engine damage due this carbon buildup . This problem is with ALL Direct Injection engines. So you pay now or pay a lot more later!!!

GNR

let me put it another way, my Telly 8s my 5th Kia and change oil @ 7500 miles and have 32,000 trouble free miles so far. Had '07 sorento that currently has 345,000 miles and still runs as goot as it did new (gave to my dad) he is still driving it and it has never had any engine issues or been on shop for repairs. Had '14 sorento with 300,000 miles with no engine issues or repairs (traded on Telly) but still ran great. Also have '12 & '13 forte's with over 70,000 on each with to troubles with either. All Kia's changed @ 7500 miles with Mobile 1 full synthetic in '07 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic in others. None have been in the shop for engine repairs

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Sounds like the V6 Kia's are good for a lot of miles (at least the port injection ones).

GNR

I wonder if an Atkinson cycle engine like the Telly's would have less problems with carbon build up?

As I understand it, some unburnt fuel is pushed back past the intake valve before it closes with an A cycle engine. That fuel might help to clean carbon deposits?

I wonder if an Atkinson cycle engine like the Telly's would have less problems with carbon build up?

As I understand it, some unburnt fuel is pushed back past the intake valve before it closes with an A cycle engine. That fuel might help to clean carbon deposits?
It does help somewhat but not to the extent that some will make you believe. That statement is according to my automotive engineer friend.