Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Engine Overheated - anyone else experience this warning message?

Thanks @GravelRox27 your post helped to point me in the right direction and discovered I had the same issue. Pushed the cable in real good and PRESTO! fan starts working and idles exactly at 203F, instead of climbing up to overheating.
Check this connector (pic below) if you have overheating issues. Squeeze it together real good or just pull at it to see if it comes apart. If it comes apart, then that means it wasn't connected properly since when it's right, there should be a connector lock engaged to keep it from sliding apart.
View attachment 2816
How can I get access to that switch ??

MMHG

This exact thing happened to me over the wknd. Bought my Telluride new in May 2021. Beeping and flashing engine overheating. Then my heat wouldn’t work…just cold air. Did it a couple more times while I drove it to the dealer and then one more time when I put it in park and thankfully the service guy saw it with his own eyes! I am going to pick it up today and will try to report back what the issue was. Makes me nervous though to have a big problem right off the bat.

negifreak

I had the same issue at 16k miles and haven't been able to take it in yet.

My neighbor told me he had the issue around 6-7k and it was just a bad thermostat.

Decdad45

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but we just ran into this issue with our 2020 telluride SX.
Driving carpool with a bunch of kids and heavy stop and go traffic. My wife noticed the AC was blowing very hot and suddenly an overheating warning began flashing on the instrument panel, and it was dinging as well.

I arrived and started to check things out. It seems like common issues are low, coolant levels, issues with fan, connections, or grounds, or issue with thermostat. The closest dealership to us is an hour away, but I was going to get a local mechanic to go ahead and check the fan, coolant, and just replace the thermostat. It looks like there are two parts to the thermostat as well. The thermostat itself and a coolant temp sensor. I imagine both of those should be replaced.

I’m just trying to avoid another issue like this since it causes chaos, trying to get a bunch of kids around, and I don’t have time to play BS with a dealership an hour away that says nothings wrong cents , it’s probably not gonna be able to be re-created.

FYI, I drove it home about 6 miles in decent traffic and no overheating. Any thoughts or comments? On the right path or not? Thanks.

Decdad45

This exact thing happened to me over the wknd. Bought my Telluride new in May 2021. Beeping and flashing engine overheating. Then my heat wouldn’t work…just cold air. Did it a couple more times while I drove it to the dealer and then one more time when I put it in park and thankfully the service guy saw it with his own eyes! I am going to pick it up today and will try to report back what the issue was. Makes me nervous though to have a big problem right off the bat.
What was issue? Trying to track resolutions for myself and others that might stumble on this thread. Thanks

DocHeller

Just chiming in to add that this just happened to my wife on our 1800 mile 2023 Prestige X-Pro. Overheated in the drive through line, she pulled over ASAP, shut the car off for a few minutes and upon restarting no warnings, temp normal. Going to take it to the dealer to see if there's any codes they can read to see what's the matter. This thread was very helpful in our time of mini-crisis!

10HeldbyH

Engine overheated warning on my 2024 SXT Prestige with 65 miles on a 76 degree day. Happened after about 45 minutes of driving in moderate traffic. Drove it to the dealer the next day. Will report back with what they tell me

Attachments

10HeldbyH

Engine overheated warning on my 2024 SXT Prestige with 65 miles on a 76 degree day. Happened after about 45 minutes of driving in moderate traffic. Drove it to the dealer the next day. Will report back with what they tell me
Dealer believes it was air pockets in coolant system but they could not replicate the issue. Hoping they got burped out.

Dealer believes it was air pockets in coolant system but they could not replicate the issue. Hoping they got burped out.
Dealer got it to act up after it happened to me when letting the car idle for a couple minutes. They believe it's the thermostat assembly. But due to the low mileage they have to get the engineers involved and let them know. 2024 telly with 6k

seinfeld1104
Engine overheating can be caused by various reasons, from insufficient coolant levels to a malfunction in the cooling system. This can be due to either mechanical problems or electronic or sensor problems.