Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

No 7 pin trailer connection

Spiker

I’ve been wanting to buy a 2020 Telluride for months now. But realized Kia really dropped the ball on the towing issue. I tow a flatbed trailer with a car on it. Why does Kia advertise a 5000 lb towing capacity and the vehicle is illegal to do. We are required to have trailer brakes at that weight and Kia never equipped their Telluride with a 7 pin connector. I’ve talked to trailer sales businesses and you’re talking around $600 to $900 to install a 7 pin connector. I hope someone at Kia figures this out, because it’s hurting their sales. And it’s also false advertising. People do not like tearing a brand new car apart to install this necessary feature.

I’ve been wanting to buy a 2020 Telluride for months now. But realized Kia really dropped the ball on the towing issue. I tow a flatbed trailer with a car on it. Why does Kia advertise a 5000 lb towing capacity and the vehicle is illegal to do. We are required to have trailer brakes at that weight and Kia never equipped their Telluride with a 7 pin connector. I’ve talked to trailer sales businesses and you’re talking around $600 to $900 to install a 7 pin connector. I hope someone at Kia figures this out, because it’s hurting their sales. And it’s also false advertising. People do not like tearing a brand new car apart to install this necessary feature.
I agree with you Kia dropped the ball on not providing a 7-pin option. My buddy just bought a 2020 Explorer and it comes with it. There's a youtube video posted on this site that shows you how to do it but it is a bit of a project.

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
I agree with you Kia dropped the ball on not providing a 7-pin option. My buddy just bought a 2020 Explorer and it comes with it. There's a youtube video posted on this site that shows you how to do it but it is a bit of a project.
Don't forget. Kia is a budget brand and you're paying more for a explorer. They will cut corners somewhere. It's also no false advertising as kia has fine print :p

gwyn

You seriously should consider a different vehicle. Something with a 7 or 10,000 tow. There are not many trailer car combos that will stay under 5,000lbs.

Edit.Most places around me want 200 to 350 depending on controller to install 7 pin.

yanni

Its one more wire in the harness, and the 7 pin plug. Their hitch is already set up for it if you take off the 4 pin plug.
Kia /Hyundai REALLY!;) After spending 50K! Pass!