Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Safety Electrical Issues with Kia Telluride

Lbarb84

We have been having this very unsafe issue with our car for the last 3 months and dealership can’t find what it is and corporate hasn’t been much help either.
While driving I get a beep and all the lights and warnings on the dashboard comes up. It keeps blinking the warning Check Forward Collision Avoidance Check System, the shift light won’t change, the speedometer won’t read the speed, the level of gas changes from 230 to 0 then back up to 50 and it keeps changing very fast. The signal light won’t work, the steering wheel gets very stiff to the point you cant safely park or pull out from a parking lot.
This is very unpredictable because it can happen while driving or when you turn the car on. It can last for seconds, few minutes, 5 mins, 10 mins, or 30.
We took to the dealer at least 5 times and they can’t figure it out. They keep saying they need the car while this is happening but it’s impossible to get the car to them while this is going on, so they tell us to bring it back when it happens. We were lucky to Make it there one time with the issue happening (dealer is 30 mins from our house) and again they couldn’t figure it out. Told us to bring it back the next day and they had our car for a whole week for the second time and still nothing. We spoke with this customer service lady and she was a joke of an employee.
She keeps saying the car was fixed and couldn’t do anything else for us. I said a thousand times the car is not safe and it is not fixed and she keeps insisting that it is because the lights is not on and I kept telling her that just because the light is not in doesn’t mean it’s fixed because it comes and go. She said there is nothing else they can do for me and was going to close my case as resolved. I insist to speak with her boss or someone above her and she kept saying there is no one else because she is the escalated case regional analyst. I am sure she has a boss and there are other departments when issues with the car can’t be fixed.
Anybody ever dealt with this issue with the Telluride or any other issues that needed to be escalated about this department?
I am at loss for words with the customer service. This can’t just be the end of it... a car with a pattern of the same issue that has happened at least 15 times and had us do about 5 trips to the dealership for them to just say “sorry but we can’t do anything for you right now, bring it back when it happens again.” All if that while they know we can’t make it to the dealership with the car like this.
I have to drive my kids in this unsafe car.

Attachments

ucinn

Staff Member
I would contact corporate and if they don't do anything, then it's a lawyer and get it taken back with the lemon law

That sounds horrible, but no one can help you unless they see it for themselves. The second best thing you can do is to take a video of it with your phone. The dealer and Kia need proof and they need to be able to diagnose the problem. They can't just use your description of such an unusual problem.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

ljtgarcia

We have been having this very unsafe issue with our car for the last 3 months and dealership can’t find what it is and corporate hasn’t been much help either.
While driving I get a beep and all the lights and warnings on the dashboard comes up. It keeps blinking the warning Check Forward Collision Avoidance Check System, the shift light won’t change, the speedometer won’t read the speed, the level of gas changes from 230 to 0 then back up to 50 and it keeps changing very fast. The signal light won’t work, the steering wheel gets very stiff to the point you cant safely park or pull out from a parking lot.
This is very unpredictable because it can happen while driving or when you turn the car on. It can last for seconds, few minutes, 5 mins, 10 mins, or 30.
We took to the dealer at least 5 times and they can’t figure it out. They keep saying they need the car while this is happening but it’s impossible to get the car to them while this is going on, so they tell us to bring it back when it happens. We were lucky to Make it there one time with the issue happening (dealer is 30 mins from our house) and again they couldn’t figure it out. Told us to bring it back the next day and they had our car for a whole week for the second time and still nothing. We spoke with this customer service lady and she was a joke of an employee.
She keeps saying the car was fixed and couldn’t do anything else for us. I said a thousand times the car is not safe and it is not fixed and she keeps insisting that it is because the lights is not on and I kept telling her that just because the light is not in doesn’t mean it’s fixed because it comes and go. She said there is nothing else they can do for me and was going to close my case as resolved. I insist to speak with her boss or someone above her and she kept saying there is no one else because she is the escalated case regional analyst. I am sure she has a boss and there are other departments when issues with the car can’t be fixed.
Anybody ever dealt with this issue with the Telluride or any other issues that needed to be escalated about this department?
I am at loss for words with the customer service. This can’t just be the end of it... a car with a pattern of the same issue that has happened at least 15 times and had us do about 5 trips to the dealership for them to just say “sorry but we can’t do anything for you right now, bring it back when it happens again.” All if that while they know we can’t make it to the dealership with the car like this.

ljtgarcia

Dan2ra

Exactly same happened to my telluride tonight.....actually worse. I was driving on a busy road and stopped at the light and suddenly my dash board started to go crazy. All kind of warning start coming such as front end collusion....rear end collusion...low tire pressure etc. My steering went really hard that I couldn’t even move an inch but truck was moving and I couldn’t steer at all. Basically, vehicle took over control and I couldn’t do anything.....finally half a block later I managed to stop the vehicle by almost standing on my break paddle. It was so frightening that I just placed in park and jumped out my truck. After 15 mins or so I tried to start the truck but same exactly stuff happened and suddenly everything went haywire again....door got locked and wouldn’t unlock.....finally everything went dead. It was a nightmare....called roadside assistance and got it towed to the nearest dealership. I’m hoping that dealership have an explanation for all this. I will update you guys soon. ( Honestly, I loved this truck which I had for passed 15 months but after all this....I might not buy any Hyundai or Kia ever again....Safety First)

Sounds like a loose power connection, either a connection to the battery, or bad battery cable. Could also be a loose ground (I am assuming that it attaches to the engine block).
The reason why I say it might be electrical is that you said it was hard to steer and there is an electric assist motor on the steering column that you may be fighting against.
Also, I had a bad battery connection on a truck I previously owned and the dash lights were doing what you describe.

I hope this information can be given to the dealership and help to troubleshoot and fix your issue!

Sounds like a loose power connection, either a connection to the battery, or bad battery cable. Could also be a loose ground (I am assuming that it attaches to the engine block).
The reason why I say it might be electrical is that you said it was hard to steer and there is an electric assist motor on the steering column that you may be fighting against.
Also, I had a bad battery connection on a truck I previously owned and the dash lights were doing what you describe.

I hope this information can be given to the dealership and help to troubleshoot and fix your issue!
I agree with this.

Bad power connnection and or poorly connected fuse box.

Happened in my last car. Cable to a fuse box taken out for service, not fully plugged back in. Car went haywire and was at dealer for two weeks, to just be a loose cable that seemed to be fully connected...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julz867530

This exact same thing happened with mine also. They "fixed" it and said it was an issue with pins. But I am still having weird things happen. One day the window wouldn't roll up, the car revs very high and always feels like it is trying to brake,warning lights randomly come on. Major issue with rear air not blowing when you press the gas. So frustrating. Like the car is possessed and service people are rude. We are about to see a lawyer. They keep telling me if they don't find something wrong on diagnostics, then they can't fix it. They kept my car for a month in December and claimed to have fixed it. It is dangerous and when my power steering goes out again while driving,I hope I don't get killed. Something is wrong. It has been in the shop 2 times so far for this issue. So very aggravated.

We are having a similar problem that is intermittent. Took it to the dealer to be diagnosed and of course the problem was not reproducible and they threw up their hands.