Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

bensam03

Hi @AnnieM have you ever found a resolution to your squeak/chirp? I have the same issue! I thought it might be the car seats, but at some point I didn't have the car seat in and it still made the noise. Especially on turns.

I'm hearing a squeak/chirping noise from the rear seat area when I drive on a rough road. Dealership tells me they can't replicate it, but I video'd it and let them listen to it. At one point they tried to tell me it was a loose headrest :-(

Pete S

We have a 2021 SX that was delivered in May. It currently has about 3800 miles and has just developed the same sound mentioned in ThatGrip's post about intermittent vibrations, I will call it problem #1 listed. We have not experienced the other 2 yet. I agree with your son. We have captains seats in row 2. While my wife drove (safely) I roamed around the second row trying to track down the sound. While hearing it very clearly coming from the seat I was not sitting in I reached over and gently pulled the seat fabric away from the plastic cover at the outside of the seat side (the cover evidently hides the mechanism that joins the seat cushion to the back. While pulling on it the noise stopped and when I released it the noise returned, very repeatable on multiple tries. The seat back was in the most vertical position. I adjusted the seat back to a more reclined position and the sound has disappeared for now. There is definitely contact being made between the seat material and the plastic shroud that was causing that sound. My concern is that as the miles increase we are going to be battling down a variety of other noises that I see in this thread. Fingers crossed.

Andy

I believe I have actually Solved this problem of the rattling rear control. If you remove the a/c control unit from the headliner, there is a plastic bracket surrounding the hole. This plastic bracket is what is causing the rattle. It bounces up and down on the headliner. I put a small amount of gorilla glue on the left and right sides of the bracket between the headliner and the piece. This keeps it from bouncing. Since I did this, I have not heard one single rattle. I HAVE HAD THE PIECE REPLACED 3 TIMES, it never fixed the problem. GLUING DOWN THE PLASTIC PIECE HAS SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Lboogs

I believe I have actually Solved this problem of the rattling rear control. If you remove the a/c control unit from the headliner, there is a plastic bracket surrounding the hole. This plastic bracket is what is causing the rattle. It bounces up and down on the headliner. I put a small amount of gorilla glue on the left and right sides of the bracket between the headliner and the piece. This keeps it from bouncing. Since I did this, I have not heard one single rattle. I HAVE HAD THE PIECE REPLACED 3 TIMES, it never fixed the problem. GLUING DOWN THE PLASTIC PIECE HAS SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
Thanks for this tip! Is there an easy way to remove the a/c control unit from the headliner? I too have the same issue starting at less than 1K miles :cautious:

Lboogs

We have a 2021 SX that was delivered in May. It currently has about 3800 miles and has just developed the same sound mentioned in ThatGrip's post about intermittent vibrations, I will call it problem #1 listed. We have not experienced the other 2 yet. I agree with your son. We have captains seats in row 2. While my wife drove (safely) I roamed around the second row trying to track down the sound. While hearing it very clearly coming from the seat I was not sitting in I reached over and gently pulled the seat fabric away from the plastic cover at the outside of the seat side (the cover evidently hides the mechanism that joins the seat cushion to the back. While pulling on it the noise stopped and when I released it the noise returned, very repeatable on multiple tries. The seat back was in the most vertical position. I adjusted the seat back to a more reclined position and the sound has disappeared for now. There is definitely contact being made between the seat material and the plastic shroud that was causing that sound. My concern is that as the miles increase we are going to be battling down a variety of other noises that I see in this thread. Fingers crossed.
Has the sound returned? I have the same issue from time to time and drives me bonkers....along with other rattling sounds from rear a/c control AND front skylight....

UPDATE:FIXED! After going in for the 5th time on this problem, and having the shop foreman come out with me to the Telluride so that he could actually observe the rattle and not just immediately try to replace the headliner or rear HVAC controls (which they have already done to no avail), they acknowledged the problem and I asked them to please dig a little deeper to find the issue. They discovered a plastic "ring" inside the headliner that had come unglued, and they glued that back. Evidently that was causing the rattling that would not stop. Its not a piece they can replace. Additionally, they put some kind of padding or tape or something else up against the roof to prevent any further rattles from developing. Such a simple an inexpensive fix that makes the car SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE. Its such a nice thing to have my new car feel like a new car again. Hope this helps!!!!
Are you able to get more details on this repair? Did they pop the headliner for this or just remove the rear climate controls? Any tech notice that they can pass other owners for the steps to fix? Local dealers near us say they know the problem but can’t fix it.

Andy, any chance you filmed this repair or could provide some more details on the specific steps you took to pop the rear ac controls and identify the bouncing bracket? We’ve had the rattle for 4K miles. Dealer knows about it and acknowledged there’s no official fix. Seems like this gluing procedure has been mentioned by 1-3 people, but would appreciate some more details with respect to the steps.

Erin7013

I'm hearing a squeak/chirping noise from the rear seat area when I drive on a rough road. Dealership tells me they can't replicate it, but I video'd it and let them listen to it. At one point they tried to tell me it was a loose headrest :-(
Did you ever get this resolved? This sounds exactly what I’m dealing with with my 2021 S

Erin7013

Hi @AnnieM have you ever found a resolution to your squeak/chirp? I have the same issue! I thought it might be the car seats, but at some point I didn't have the car seat in and it still made the noise. Especially on turns.
Hi @bensam03 - I don’t know if she replied to you but I’m having the same issue - have you figured it out?

tntbates

UPDATE:FIXED! After going in for the 5th time on this problem, and having the shop foreman come out with me to the Telluride so that he could actually observe the rattle and not just immediately try to replace the headliner or rear HVAC controls (which they have already done to no avail), they acknowledged the problem and I asked them to please dig a little deeper to find the issue. They discovered a plastic "ring" inside the headliner that had come unglued, and they glued that back. Evidently that was causing the rattling that would not stop. Its not a piece they can replace. Additionally, they put some kind of padding or tape or something else up against the roof to prevent any further rattles from developing. Such a simple an inexpensive fix that makes the car SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE. Its such a nice thing to have my new car feel like a new car again. Hope this helps!!!!
I am so glad you got it fixed....trust me I know how painful it is to have that sound right above your head. We sent mine into the dealership for the same issue to get fixed before our 14 hr trip (one way). Well, it didn't get fixed and it was even worse after getting it back. We had no other option then to take the Telly and were stuck with listening to the rattle (like a loose metal bar shaking around) for the whole trip. I took it back in and they kept it for 3 days and now say I will need a whole new roof liner. Apparently this is something going on with the prestige headliner. They are just waiting to have a loaner for me because it will take 2 weeks to fix. There is another Telly in my area that will need to same thing done.

Mtbrx

Following this thread. I have a ‘22 SX with 5300 miles. The rattle started about a month ago and is driving me absolutely insane. I’ve resorted to reaching up and putting pressure on the rear console while I’m driving (or even idling) to stop the sound. For the amount of money we all paid for our Tellurides, this is ridiculous.

I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow but am not hopeful based on what I’m reading.

Joanna

Following this thread. I have a ‘22 SX with 5300 miles. The rattle started about a month ago and is driving me absolutely insane. I’ve resorted to reaching up and putting pressure on the rear console while I’m driving (or even idling) to stop the sound. For the amount of money we all paid for our Tellurides, this is ridiculous.

I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow but am not hopeful based on what I’m reading.
I am having the same issue with my 2020 T SXP. it is driving me CRAZY! Were you able to get any resolution to this issue?

BjW2222

I've been hearing some rattling noises coming from the rear, can't seem to figure out exactly where its coming from. Anyone else having noise issues? Let's hear your noise complaints.
My 2020 Telluride developed a bumping noise coming from the rear when I was driving on city streets or going slow over a bump. I pulled into a tire dealer and asked if they would check if the spare tire was loose. It was not loose, but the technician told me that the manager's KIA had similar rattle noise and it had something to do with ball joints or bearings and KIA fixed it under warranty. Because the KIA dealer said there were no recalls on my VIN #, they could not get my car in to diagnose the problem for over 3 weeks. We took it to an automotive repair shop we use and trust. They located the problem and replaced both rear shock mounts. The rubber had split on the right rear shock where the noise could be heard, and they saw the left one was also tearing. We paid out of pocket rather than wait forever for warranty work. The car is driven on the highway daily and there is no need to take risks.

12skadoo

I am having the same issue. It is a thumping noise coming from the rear when going over any bump. The dealer says they think it might be the shocks. I just had to pay for a wheel alignment because the rear camber was way off. I hope the two are not related. The thump is starting to drive me nuts.
Same issue with my 2021 sx.
with tow package . Brought it to the dealer and they find nothing . Irritating to say the least

BjW2222

with tow package . Brought it to the dealer and they find nothing . Irritating to say the least
I took my 2021 Telluride to an independent auto repair service because my dealer's services was booked for over a month. They replaced the torn rubber piece in the right rear shock and said the same piece in the left shock was also wearing out so they replaced it, too. The KIA had about 39,000 miles on the Odometer. No more thumping noise when I go over bumps at low speed.

12skadoo

I took my 2021 Telluride to an independent auto repair service because my dealer's services was booked for over a month. They replaced the torn rubber piece in the right rear shock and said the same piece in the left shock was also wearing out so they replaced it, too. The KIA had about 39,000 miles on the Odometer. No more thumping noise when I go over bumps at low speed.
To my surprise , the local dealer acknowledged my trouble and new shocks were ordered. Hopefully this will cure this problem .

I am having the same issue with my 2020 T SXP. it is driving me CRAZY! Were you able to get any resolution to this issue?
I'm in the same boat, except the dealership was informed by the Kia Service Team to replace the headliner. When this work was done, they broke several plastic tabs and scratched the crap out of the plastic. Plus, it doesn't seem to be the same upgraded headliner I had previously!! Not pleased at all with the service, and it's in the shop again to try to make it right!

I have a 2022 SX and for about 6 months now there is a squeaking noise that will randomly start while driving. It is definitely inside the vehicle, gradually getting worse, and seems to be coming from the 2nd row captains chairs or rear row. I have recorded the noise and played for the dealership, and then of course when the service manager rode with me to hear it there was no noise! I have put the seats up and down, slammed them back into place, had my husband ride in the back through the neighborhood and we still can’t pin point it. Even with the radio volume at 16+ the noise can be heard. It is happening whether someone is in the seat or not. We paid too much for this vehicle to have to ride around and drive my anxiety insane with this noise. HELP!