Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Transmission Temperature Monitoring While Towing

SGR36

Has anyone used an ODB tool to monitor the transmission temperature while towing? If so, which one? We are getting a 3300 lb. camper soon and would like to know if the transmission cooling is adequate on long road trips.

I haven't, but I'm going to keep my eye on this post. We will be hauling a pontoon back and forth to the water most weekends this summer which probably weighs about the same as your camper, and we also got the Telluride because we wanted something that could haul my Nova to car cruises that were ~2 hours away, and that will weigh in very close to 5,000lb with the trailer. It would be nice to have a heads up on whether or not this thing can really tow what they claim it can without having issues.

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #3
I ordered a OBD ScanGauge SG2 II Ultra today. The company says they have a Xgauge downloadable file that will display the transmission temperature on the Telluride as well as engine load. I will post how it works and provide some normal and under tow data when we get our camper.

I ordered a OBD ScanGauge SG2 II Ultra today. The company says they have a Xgauge downloadable file that will display the transmission temperature on the Telluride as well as engine load. I will post how it works and provide some normal and under tow data when we get our camper.
Have you tried this out yet? Any feedback?

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #5
Yes I have, I can make what I want to work except for transmission fluid temperature. The Hyundai/KIA engine oil temp code worked but not the multiple transmission codes that the manufacturer listed on their web site. I will try them all again to make sure I didn't enter the codes wrong. I like the device, I have the default screen set on engine oil temp, water temp, engine load and horsepower. If I can get the transmission temp to work I will be very happy. If not, I guess I am looking to install an aftermarket gauge with a sensor inserted into the fluid path.

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #6
I got the scan gauge to work on the Telluride! I have these readings set and working on my screen: Engine Oil Temp, Trans Fluid Temp, Water Temp and Horsepower. The codes for Engine Temp and Trans Fluid Temp are attached. Now I can get some baseline readings to compare against when I tow. I highly recommend this device, just takes a while to figure out.

Attachments

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #7
Have you tried this out yet? Any feedback?
I
I got the scan gauge to work on the Telluride! I have these readings set and working on my screen: Engine Oil Temp, Trans Fluid Temp, Water Temp and Horsepower. The codes for Engine Temp and Trans Fluid Temp are attached. Now I can get some baseline readings to compare against when I tow. I highly recommend this device, just takes a while to figure out.

Attachments

Maybe this will help, these are the driving around town readings I got today.
Wow, I feel like even the coolant at 211 is awfully high. Only other thing I have a digital gauge on is my Jetta, and it never makes it past 195 on a 100 degree day and the boost turned up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #15
Wow, I feel like even the coolant at 211 is awfully high. Only other thing I have a digital gauge on is my Jetta, and it never makes it past 195 on a 100 degree day and the boost turned up

Not concerned as the dash temp gauge has always been on the cool side, its probably due to where the sensor is located. If its in the discharge path going to the radiator that could be quite normal as it will be the hottest there. The idea is not to worry so much about the initial readings, just develop a baseline set of data during normal operations and then anything significantly above that (when towing) should be carefully monitored to avoid overheating the engine and transmission. Still waiting on my RV so that won't be happening anytime soon.

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #16
Per the inter-web the acceptable range for an engine to run at sits between 195 degrees and 220 degrees Fahrenheit.

Per the inter-web the acceptable range for an engine to run at sits between 195 degrees and 220 degrees Fahrenheit.
In my Nova, the two thermostat options were always 165 and 190. Not too up to speed on all these modern cars I guess.

OP
SGR36

SGR36

Thread Starter #18
Update on my rv trials. Pulling a 4000 loaded Vista Crusier camper with my 2020 AWD telluride. Power is no issue. Avg mpg 14 and Normal Temps with Scan gauge 2. Average engine coolant 210, motor oil temp 220, hp reading stays around 80 On a level pull at 65. Trans fluid temp normally stays around 199. I have found that when pulling up and down hills at 45 or 50 the trans temp goes up to 215 - 217. And If it stays there long enough the trans will simply stay in 5th gear until thr temp drops back below 200. Looks life I need a trans cooler added to keep it at around 200

l