Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Who disables Auto Start-Stop when they drive?

Who disables Auto Start-Stop when they drive?

• Yes Always

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Never

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

utmeep

Not Active
Staff Member
FYI @ucinn mentioned this on another forum but on Stingers you can jam a business card in between the button to keep it pressed down. This will cause auto-off to deactivate every time you start the car.

I can confirm that it also works on the Telluride. :)

ucinn

Staff Member
You can trim with an exacto knife for a cleaner look to it.

Who else prefers Auto Start-Stop to be disabled when they drive?
The Auto Start-Stop has gotten really old for me, really quick. Still not remembering that I need to turn this off every time I restart the car so it's constantly finding a way to jump in with a gottcha again and again. It's just so seldom that it kicks in in a welcome situation compared to being a general nuisance. In my opinion the only thing this does is train everyone how not to ever come to a complete stop. American stop is the only way to go now. I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a permanent fix that won't void any warranties.

Off topic, but interesting differences in local colloquialisms, here in the US Iā€™ve always heard it referred to as a ā€œCalifornia Rollā€. (No association to sushi)
Interesting, I had actually wondered if this term (American stop) crossed the border into the actual US when I wrote my rant. I believe the term is in wide use in Canada but I can really only speak reliably for Quebec.

Off topic, but interesting differences in local colloquialisms, here in the US Iā€™ve always heard it referred to as a ā€œCalifornia Rollā€. (No association to sushi)
In CA I often heard it referred to as a rolling stop.

ucinn

Staff Member
The Auto Start-Stop has gotten really old for me, really quick. Still not remembering that I need to turn this off every time I restart the car so it's constantly finding a way to jump in with a gottcha again and again. It's just so seldom that it kicks in in a welcome situation compared to being a general nuisance. In my opinion the only thing this does is train everyone how not to ever come to a complete stop. American stop is the only way to go now. I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a permanent fix that won't void any warranties.
Just wedge a business card or some paper in the switch to hold it down. It is now fixed and won't void any warranty.

What bugs me about the system is the inconsistency of when it engages and when it doesn't. I know the system is programmed to keep the engine on/off when certain criteria are met, however, it just appears to be so random at times. I find myself looking for it at every stop instead of concentrating on the road, or trying to anticipate what it will do. I haven't disengaged it yet, I'm still willing to see if I can adjust to it, but I can foresee a time a month or so down the road when I just start pressing that button every day.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

What bugs me about the system is the inconsistency of when it engages and when it doesn't. I know the system is programmed to keep the engine on/off when certain criteria are met, however, it just appears to be so random at times. I find myself looking for it at every stop instead of concentrating on the road, or trying to anticipate what it will do. I haven't disengaged it yet, I'm still willing to see if I can adjust to it, but I can foresee a time a month or so down the road when I just start pressing that button every day.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I was consistently getting engine shutoff at the badging area into my work. Someone had pointed out that if you stop the vehicle lightly without firm pressure, it does not engage the auto off. So the inconsistency you observed in auto on/off was due to how lightly you engaged the brake. You will get consistent auto off with firm braking.

bctmst

I have a concern with this Auto stop ... what about when your battery is really low and you just manage to get it started in the morning then you get to that first stop light and boom it shuts off and the battery won't restart it. Will it keep trying to restart it ? I also believe that it can actually use more gas when it stops for only a few seconds because it actually takes more gas to start the engine then it does to keep it idling. I guess it depends on how long you are stopped.

I have a concern with this Auto stop ... what about when your battery is really low and you just manage to get it started in the morning then you get to that first stop light and boom it shuts off and the battery won't restart it. Will it keep trying to restart it ? I also believe that it can actually use more gas when it stops for only a few seconds because it actually takes more gas to start the engine then it does to keep it idling. I guess it depends on how long you are stopped.
A study was done that had believable numbers. Conclusion is that the engine must be stopped for 7 seconds to start seeing gas savings. I have gotten in the habit of turning off ISG when I first start the engine to save wear and tear on the starter and battery and future EXPENSIVE repairs.
Weigh this against any gas savings by using ISG being so minimal it is almost laughable. Purely a gimmick that Washington put on the auto industry in their obsession with fuel restrictions.

seb67

I only disable it on hot days when I want the AC roaring which isn't very often so I leave it on for my day to day travels mainly

seb67

I definitely keep the auto hold off as I don't like the way it accelerates from stopped with it on. I only use it on hills, I feel like the delay for it to start makes it lurch a bit, could be just me but my last car auto turned it on only on a hill like waiting at a stoplight on an incline, I preferred that auto method.

I definitely keep the auto hold off as I don't like the way it accelerates from stopped with it on. I only use it on hills, I feel like the delay for it to start makes it lurch a bit, could be just me but my last car auto turned it on only on a hill like waiting at a stoplight on an incline, I preferred that auto method.
Different animal. The topic here is ISG.