Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Who tops off their gas tank on the Telluride?

Who tops off their gas tank on the Telluride?

• I do

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
I always tend to top off the gas tank whenever I get gas. Recently read an article on Repair Pal that it's bad for the car.

3 reasons why topping off is bad
1. It can hurt your car: When you fill up your gas tank to the tippy-top, you may not be leaving enough room for the vapor recovery system in your car to do its job. If the fuel level inside the tank is too high, causing the charcoal canister to suck in liquid fuel instead of vapors, it can be damaged and need replacement — and that can be expensive.

2. It can hurt the environment: If you overfill your tank, you can spill gasoline on the ground. Spilled gas will instantly evaporate, go into the atmosphere, and create smog when the sunlight hits it. Gasoline is also toxic, and you definitely don’t want to breathe the fumes, or get it on your skin or clothes. Plus, it’s a fire hazard.

3. It can hurt your wallet: The vapor recovery systems at gas stations are designed to recapture not only gasoline vapors, but also any excess gasoline being pumped into a car’s tank. This means that the extra gasoline may actually be going right back into the gas station’s storage tanks — but you’re still getting charged for it.

I haven't heard of number 3 but does make sense ... I don't do that on my vehicles but do it on rentals when I want to fill up 20 or so miles from the airport and still arrive "full"

ucinn

Staff Member
I just round it up to the nearest 50 cent increment.