Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Who's paying below MSRP? Please share your dealer info

KiaFan

Staff Member
If you're playing below MSRP, please share your dealer info so we can all help each other.

I work at a Kia dealer in Northern Virginia. We are a fairly large dealership in comparison to other Kia dealers. We have the Tellurides on order. Everyone we've gotten has sold within a week. I think it's going to be difficult to find dealers that are going to take a loss on a vehicle that has so much "buzz". Maybe wait until the end of the year when the excitement subsides slightly.

The best I found in the greater Los Angeles area was $38,395 for an EX. Brought it home yesterday.

No, I wish. Just a FWD.

I work at a Kia dealer in Northern Virginia. We are a fairly large dealership in comparison to other Kia dealers. We have the Tellurides on order. Everyone we've gotten has sold within a week. I think it's going to be difficult to find dealers that are going to take a loss on a vehicle that has so much "buzz". Maybe wait until the end of the year when the excitement subsides slightly.
As a long time Kia salesman, I can't agree more. The dealers in Des Moines Iowa are charging $1,500 over. The dealers in Chicago are charging $3-5,000 over. I'm not price gouging. Just selling at the price that the manufacturer suggests.

As a long time Kia salesman, I can't agree more. The dealers in Des Moines Iowa are charging $1,500 over. The dealers in Chicago are charging $3-5,000 over. I'm not price gouging. Just selling at the price that the manufacturer suggests.
Keep drinking the cool-aide. The factory is just getting up to speed. At 6000/month production dealers will have ample supply by summer at the latest. Ive seen this same story play out so many times. These are not number restricted vehicles they are mass produced. When dealers have 15 or 20 on their lot not 4 "in Transit" there will be deals, especially in markets with multiple dealerships. An auto trader search shows pretty good discounts already....

Again, that's what we're saying. If you want a "deal" just wait... for now, most dealers are going to try to get what they can.

I’m in the suburbs of Phoenix AZ. MSRP was 33k on LX and they were charging 6500 more. 1400 for nonsense tinting and paint protection and 5000 “market adjustment.” I’ll wait.

Keep drinking the cool-aide. The factory is just getting up to speed. At 6000/month production dealers will have ample supply by summer at the latest. Ive seen this same story play out so many times. These are not number restricted vehicles they are mass produced. When dealers have 15 or 20 on their lot not 4 "in Transit" there will be deals, especially in markets with multiple dealerships. An auto trader search shows pretty good discounts already....
Good morning @James

Happy Monday! I'm actually a HUGE fan of cool-aide! It's sooooooo yummy! ;-)

First, we're not making 6,000 a month. Who ever told you that was lying to you. Second, you sound like a very well educated individual that is far to intelligent to pay a fair price for something. Just glad that I don't have to be one of the salesmen that you stroke for 6 weeks pitting them all against each other just so you can convince yourself how good you are at saving money.

Lastly, you could always go swim around the Hyundai Palasade forum. They will have plenty of Palasade's on the lot at Hyundai dealers and you'll find the perfect bargain price that you're looking for.

Toodles!

Murlinator Im thinking around here the cool-aide is spiked!

I hear you, I'm actually all about the dealer making a profit and the customer saving some $$. Fairly or not your customers are conditioned to think of MSRP as a guideline. No one wants to pay MSRP but if you want a Telluride now and they are scarce you need to pay up and enjoy the car....a dealer just informed me that for an additional $2000 I could reserve an incoming vehicle. That's illustrates the point Im trying to make, that its way better to wait for stock to catch up to demand.

Good morning @James

Happy Monday! I'm actually a HUGE fan of cool-aide! It's sooooooo yummy! ;-)

First, we're not making 6,000 a month. Who ever told you that was lying to you. Second, you sound like a very well educated individual that is far to intelligent to pay a fair price for something. Just glad that I don't have to be one of the salesmen that you stroke for 6 weeks pitting them all against each other just so you can convince yourself how good you are at saving money.

Lastly, you could always go swim around the Hyundai Palasade forum. They will have plenty of Palasade's on the lot at Hyundai dealers and you'll find the perfect bargain price that you're looking for.

Toodles!
So when you make a big ticket purchase you just take the first price you get, no "stroking around"? I might fall into the category you describe, when I lease I go to many different dealers, get a feel of the going rate and then fine tune my purchase/lease. Usually the bottom line for me is #1, my gut feeling for the dealer/salesperson, were they honest, sincere, not pushy, fair and #2, location, I wouldn't deal with someone 50 or more miles away. Your job as a salesperson is to make a much money as you can for your dealership and especially you, my job as a customer is to save as much money as I can, I never take anything personal and I would hope salespeople wouldn't either, it's just business.

So when you make a big ticket purchase you just take the first price you get, no "stroking around"? I might fall into the category you describe, when I lease I go to many different dealers, get a feel of the going rate and then fine tune my purchase/lease. Usually the bottom line for me is #1, my gut feeling for the dealer/salesperson, were they honest, sincere, not pushy, fair and #2, location, I wouldn't deal with someone 50 or more miles away. Your job as a salesperson is to make a much money as you can for your dealership and especially you, my job as a customer is to save as much money as I can, I never take anything personal and I would hope salespeople wouldn't either, it's just business.
Hey @Dozer81

When I'm making a purchase, even if it's not big ticket, I always check to see what fair pricing is. You are 100% correct in that matter. What I'm referring to when I refer to someone stroking different sales people is someone that has complete disregard for the time and effort that these 100% commission sales people give that customer. The customer has no respect for the work that someone does to help them and only wants to take one dealers price and use it to create a "bidding war" for their business. No one customers business is worth a frustrating "bid" between dealers.

Now, that said, in the present example of the Kia Telluride, there are hundreds of dealers charging $3,000, $5,000, or more over the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. That is unfair. That is price gouging. One of my managers wants me to do that on ours "because everyone else is doing it" and I told him no. I refuse. So, what that means currently is that the suggested price by Kia is MORE than fair in the market and then you get up to $2,500 off on top of that.

And when it comes to "just business", YES we take it personally when customers take our time and effort and then use us to get a $100 better price from some thief down the street.

Hey @Dozer81

When I'm making a purchase, even if it's not big ticket, I always check to see what fair pricing is. You are 100% correct in that matter. What I'm referring to when I refer to someone stroking different sales people is someone that has complete disregard for the time and effort that these 100% commission sales people give that customer. The customer has no respect for the work that someone does to help them and only wants to take one dealers price and use it to create a "bidding war" for their business. No one customers business is worth a frustrating "bid" between dealers.

Now, that said, in the present example of the Kia Telluride, there are hundreds of dealers charging $3,000, $5,000, or more over the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. That is unfair. That is price gouging. One of my managers wants me to do that on ours "because everyone else is doing it" and I told him no. I refuse. So, what that means currently is that the suggested price by Kia is MORE than fair in the market and then you get up to $2,500 off on top of that.

And when it comes to "just business", YES we take it personally when customers take our time and effort and then use us to get a $100 better price from some thief down the street.
Sorry but Dozer81 is absolutely correct. Its a business transaction and should not be driven by emotion. I would never play the endless dealer bid game. It's not a good way to do business and Its not worth my time either. I'd bet you have people quoting invoice and dealer hold back at you, but one thing I know for sure is that I'll never know what you really have in a vehicle, nor what motivation a dealership might have on any given day. I'm pretty sure dealers are making far less as a percentage of MSRP than they were 10 or 15 years ago, and that they are now reimbursed in a lot of different ways that we will never be privy to. So yes Ill shop, not just locally but regionally. If you treat dealer reps with respect you get it back, and really all anyone has to say is yes or no. As Dozer81 said its nothing personal.

Last edited:
If you're playing below MSRP, please share your dealer info so we can all help each other.
I am. However, I also have bought a car from this dealership every year for the past 4 years. I can say though, they aren't charging more than MSRP like i'm seeing most dealerships do.

Gerardomrz

Hey @Dozer81

In my opinion all of you are right in their post. It depends on the perspective that you look at it, customer or seller. As a seller obviously you want to sell, do your job right, generate income for your employer so you can generate money for you. If someone goes to your dealership just to get a quote and leave, becomes personal to a salesperson because the effort and time is giving there is going to a waste.
As a consumer you want the best price, buying a car you know it’s s not just a few dollars, it’s the second major purchase after a house for most humans. If you want to make it worth you are going to invest time and effort as well. Myself when I want to buy a car, I’m sorry but I don’t trust the salesperson or any one from the dealership. I haven’t heard no one when I get to a dealership and run my credit to give me the first quote a fair one. Like for this truck the first quote I got for a lease of 36 months 12k miles 0 down was $880 I laughed so hard. Second dealership the first quote they gave me was $850. So If the people from the dealership were fair since the beginning, it would be a total different story. Maybe you are not like that but here kia dealers have a really bad reputation. I have owned 7 Kias including Telluride now and the only way for me to get a good price is getting different quotes and ask if they can get me a better deal than another dealership, even at the dealership that I have bought 3 cars now (kia DTLA) they never give me a good deal at the beginning, they refused to give me the SX prestige AWD for MSRP, they told me to go somewhere else. I did my research and I know the price for MSRP is no more than $650 for that lease including taxes here in California. So if they want to play games I guess we as a consumers can find a way to come back on that.

I'm in CA. First dealer Kia of Cerritos had a $13k markup, Kia of Glendale had a $10k markup. Got my SX AWD Prestige snow white pearl with black nappa leather at Kia of Irvince at MSRP. Ask for Farhad.

Krug

I'm in CA. First dealer Kia of Cerritos had a $13k markup, Kia of Glendale had a $10k markup. Got my SX AWD Prestige snow white pearl with black nappa leather at Kia of Irvince at MSRP. Ask for Farhad.
That's insane, are they even selling them at these dealers? Glad you found one from a good dealer

Are they selling limited production Ferrari????

There needs to be a Hall of Shame for dealers that charge that much