Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Battery discharge warning

I've had my telluride since April 2019, and had to replace the battery once due to warning and car battery being completely dead about 2 months ago...now it's doing the same thing with warning, "Battery discharging due to external devices". I can't afford to be stranded out of town or on side of the road...what can be done to fix this issue??!

I've had my telluride since April 2019, and had to replace the battery once due to warning and car battery being completely dead about 2 months ago...now it's doing the same thing with warning, "Battery discharging due to external devices". I can't afford to be stranded out of town or on side of the road...what can be done to fix this issue??!
Do you drive it regularly and for how long?

Yes! It's my main vehicle...everyday.
A battery discharge warning seems normal when the engine is OFF while you have the radio or accessory set to ON. This in itself doesn’t appear to be a problem since I don’t have a battery issue even though I only drive my KT about once a week.

Are you getting the battery discharge warning with the engine ON?

Once I start my vehicle, the error message appears.
That should not happen when the engine is ON. Sounds like a charging system issue. Your charging system is designed to supply enough power to run the electrical system while charging you battery.

I think you need to contact the dealer.

OP
K
Thread Starter #7
Yeah...this will be the 2nd time taking it to the dealership actually...so I hope they correct this by some means. It's frustrating thinking I may be stranded somewhere...luckily last time the battery died at home.

Waylonj

Hi all, just had my Telliride at the dealer for 5 days due to a battery discharge warning upon starting it up. It died two days later and was towed to the dealership. They never did figure out what is draining my battery but gave it back and told me if it happens again to bring it back to them. The only thing I had plugged in was a phone charger.

ErinMarie

Have had same issues with battery and immobilizer notifications! It dies while driving and can only use brakes. Happened when I drove off lot 06/05/20 five times! Had it towed to dealer took them forever to figure out the problem. It was so called fixed and it died on me twice today while driving. I’m reporting it to the manufacturer and believe I have a lemon based on Iowa Lemon Laws. It’s not safe. I have two young kids in car seats. Sorry you all have had issues with this #1 consumer reports recommended SUV! Be safe!!

Hi all, just had my Telliride at the dealer for 5 days due to a battery discharge warning upon starting it up. It died two days later and was towed to the dealership. They never did figure out what is draining my battery but gave it back and told me if it happens again to bring it back to them. The only thing I had plugged in was a phone charger.
I am having same problem! I did read in the owners manual NOT to leave a phone charger plugged in when not in use. I have made sure it is unplugged, but still have taken it back 3 times because it was completely dead!

Alanna00

Have had same issues with battery and immobilizer notifications! It dies while driving and can only use brakes. Happened when I drove off lot 06/05/20 five times! Had it towed to dealer took them forever to figure out the problem. It was so called fixed and it died on me twice today while driving. I’m reporting it to the manufacturer and believe I have a lemon based on Iowa Lemon Laws. It’s not safe. I have two young kids in car seats. Sorry you all have had issues with this #1 consumer reports recommended SUV! Be safe!!
Ours is having the same issue although I haven’t seen any immobilizer notifications. Got it in April 2021... it was in the shop for 2 months waiting for a replacement part bc the power steering module failed and it refused to operate (had to have it towed to them after I had it in to be checked). Now it randomly dies on me- this last one was also while I was driving (only backing out of the driveway) but I’m terrified of driving it with my kids for the very same situation that you found yourself in. It was towed to Dealership yesterday and they think it’s a faulty battery- but reading these posts I’m not so sure at all and don’t feel comfortable taking it back. This is really awful... did you have any luck with Kia resolving this?