Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Does the Telluride require engine break-in?

From the Owner's Manual.

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles (1,000km) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.

Do not race the engine.
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
  • Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
  • Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of operation.

Call me old school but I'll still take it easy on all my new cars for the first 1k before really driving it hard.

mhwow72

"Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time . What is considered a long period of time?

From the Owner's Manual.

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles (1,000km) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.

Do not race the engine.
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
  • Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
  • Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) of operation.
You said there's no break-in period and then proceeded to explain what the factory break-in period is. Yes, there is a break-in period.

Cam3n

What exactly does vehicle speed have to do with engine speed?
- Kia manual: keep it within these RPMs.
- Also Kia Manual: go faster and slower.

maxford

Taking delivery on Thursday in Denver. Beginning a drive to Seattle on Friday. What should I do or not do for the engine break in? Not use cruise control? Alternate speeds every x minutes? Dealer is saying no break in is needed but for $50k, I don't want to risk an issue down the line.

Taking delivery on Thursday in Denver. Beginning a drive to Seattle on Friday. What should I do or not do for the engine break in? Not use cruise control? Alternate speeds every x minutes? Dealer is saying no break in is needed but for $50k, I don't want to risk an issue down the line.
Just dont use cruise control for long periods of time. I am in the same boat. I am driving out to Colorado next week to trade my 20 S for a 22SX. So I have about 1500 miles to get it broke in. Guess I will just fluctuate speed with the foot on the pedal rather than set a desired speed

I know many folks will do their first oil change within the first 1,500 miles to get any small metal shavings that may occur in the oil pan out during break in. Something to think about.

Just dont use cruise control for long periods of time. I am in the same boat. I am driving out to Colorado next week to trade my 20 S for a 22SX. So I have about 1500 miles to get it broke in. Guess I will just fluctuate speed with the foot on the pedal rather than set a deaired speed
Yes!! My dealer didn't say a thing about the break in period (which is clearly mentioned in the owner's manuals) and so I drove 900 miles on cruise!! Later, I asked him to tell future clients.