Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

My battery died after only two weeks

Three days ago the battery in my Telluride died after only two weeks. Called the Kia's Roadside Assistance and they towed to my dealer. Finally got the car back yesterday and she's running fine.

After a similar experience with my 2017 Outback, I charged my Telluride's battery fully right after I picked it up. The charger took all night to show the battery as 100% charged, so I assume it was pretty discharged when I picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S4life
Thread Starter #3
After a similar experience with my 2017 Outback, I charged my Telluride's battery fully right after I picked it up. The charger took all night to show the battery as 100% charged, so I assume it was pretty discharged when I picked it up.

Good to know this, before they told me it was a bad battery I thought I had purchased a lemon lol. What charger are you using, I should pick one up too.

OP
S4life
Thread Starter #5
OP
S4life
Thread Starter #7
The jump starter also comes in handy as an emergency flashlight and an emergency USB charger.

I like the size. Are you supposed to maintain the jumpstarter by charging it every so often?

When I plugged mine into a battery tender it took nearly a day to get to full charge. I think some batteries are shipping low. As a matter of course, I keep my vehicles on battery tenders if I won’t be driving them for a few days or more.

About to get a charger too, I keep getting a discharge error. Is the difference between the 3.5amp and 7.2amp just mean it charges faster?

Great that's what I'll order then. How often do you keep the car plugged in?
If I don’t think I’ll drive it for 3-4 days I’ll plug it in. I pretty much just drive the Telluride on the weekend.

About 7% of car batteries will die with in the first 6 months because of factory defects. The number is also getting worst, up about 1% from just a year ago. With limited world lead and more regulations, we are seeing batteries not last.

Aquadog

Three days ago the battery in my Telluride died after only two weeks. Called the Kia's Roadside Assistance and they towed to my dealer. Finally got the car back yesterday and she's running fine.
After not driving hours for three days went to start it battery was dead as a door nail had A seven pin round plug put in had an RV store thought that might have something to do with it but no. Will find out more Tuesday when the dealer can get to the Telluride . Since joining this forum I have found out that there have been numerous electrical problems including bad harnesses. So I strongly suggest you having battery problems definitely take it to the dealer and have a checked out I’ll be damned if I’m gonna pay this much money and I have to charge my battery every three days that’s just ridiculous. Good luck this is not your problem this is Kia's problem.

I've had my telluride since April 2019, and had to replace the battery once due to warning and car battery being completely dead about 2 months ago...now it's doing the same thing with warning, "Battery discharging due to external devices". I can't afford to be stranded out of town or on side of the road...what can be done to fix this issue??!

Go back to the dealer ASAP … also take a photo of the message in case it can't be reproduced by the dealer

What @Tim-in-CA said, maybe you should also consider getting those portable jump starter just in case.

My Telluride is not my daily driver, so I keep it on a battery tender. A car that is driven often though should not have battery failure issues. The dealer can perform a battery test.

ucinn

Staff Member
If this warning is coming on while it's running, then something in the charging system isn't working correctly. Take it back, more than likely a bad alternator or a loose connection.

BARUQUEY

I had that problem with my Sorento (2014 SLX), when new and it happened some 3 or 4 times. The Dealer requested support from Kia Factory and they found that the electric windows controller on the armrest was faulty and had a tiny continuous power draw. When the car was not driven for a weel.... blunt dead. Apparentlyit became common to many 2014 Sorentos. They change the whole unit ant the problem was soved completely. I hope this helps someone.