Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

New Motor Oil Solves GDI Engine Problems!

I did not see anything about intake valves
Yeah, I don't see anything specific to helping out with the valve deposits issue either. It might reduce build-up on the oil ring, which I've read reduces the oil ring's ability to "seal' to the cylinder wall.

Also, anyone have hard evidence that Hyundai and Kia have certified Valvoline Restore & Protect for use? My owner's manual specifically calls out TotalEnergies full synthetic SAE 5w-30 with Spec: ACEA A5. This 5w-30 Product from TotalEnergies seems to fit the bill. As these 3.8 V6 Lambda - G6DN engines have an oil consumption issue, and if it comes down to a warranty issue, I don't want to give Kia an excuse to deny a warranty claim because Valvoline Restore & Protect was used.

Also, I don't see the ACEA A5 spec listed in the Valvoline's spec sheet.
1705854522645.png

Yeah, I don't see anything specific to helping out with the valve deposits issue either. It might reduce build-up on the oil ring, which I've read reduces the oil ring's ability to "seal' to the cylinder wall.

Also, anyone have hard evidence that Hyundai and Kia have certified Valvoline Restore & Protect for use? My owner's manual specifically calls out TotalEnergies full synthetic SAE 5w-30 with Spec: ACEA A5. This 5w-30 Product from TotalEnergies seems to fit the bill. As these 3.8 V6 Lambda - G6DN engines have an oil consumption issue, and if it comes down to a warranty issue, I don't want to give Kia an excuse to deny a warranty claim because Valvoline Restore & Protect was used.

Also, I don't see the ACEA A5 spec listed in the Valvoline's spec sheet.
View attachment 4035
Have you found a place to buy Total oil outside of the dealership and not over priced?

Have you found a place to buy Total oil outside of the dealership and not over priced?
I just started looking in preparation for that first oil change (my Telluride has 600 miles on the clock). Seems Pelican Parts out of CA sells the TotalEnergies product. Link HERE. I've never bought from them, but they have free shipping w/orders over $100. $49 for 5qts is expensive to me, as I'm used to using Mobil1 that I'd buy at any Walmart for $29 (5 qts). But knowing I might have to deal with a claim down the road, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk Kia denying it because I used something other than what they called out. I know they're legally not supposed to do that, but it gives them one less reason to kick the claim back.

1705855985987.png

I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum $79 for 15 quarts from Amazon. Has long as you keep your receipts you will be fine for warranty. I change mine every 5k miles.

captain

I have contacted Valvoline Tech Dept. Valvoline Restore and Protect 5-30 does NOT meet ACEA-A5-B5 Specs.