Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Red Dots on Tires & Wheels

TexasDean

I just got my Telluride EX AWD and it has these red dots on all the wheels and tires? What's the purpose of these dots? Tire Red Dots.jpg

ERNYSAN

Staff Member
The wheel have the air valve and this add more weight at that point Those marks make the alignment and balance of the wheels perfect eventually they will disappear

OP
T

TexasDean

Thread Starter #3
The dots may be to assist in aligning and balancing the wheels, but it doesn't appear that it has anything to do with the air valves since the dots are all on different places compared to the air valves on the four wheels.

The dots means that's where the belts are joined so there may be a high spot there. There's also a yellow dot too which is where the tire should be mounted to the valve stem.

ERNYSAN

Staff Member
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/what-are-the-red-and-yellow-dots-on-my-tires/

Typically the yellow dot indicates the point on the tire that SHOULD be mounted next to the valve stem for the best balance.

The red dot is the uniformity mark. As well as not being able to manufacture perfectly weighted tires, it's also nearly impossible to make a tire which is perfectly circular. Every tire has a high and a low spot, the difference of which is called radial run out. Manufacturers typically mark this high point with a red dot on the tire sidewall.

When you have this tire mounted the guys at the shop will know all of this and will mount it accordingly.

OP
T

TexasDean

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I had not noticed such dots on any car before. Now I know their purpose and I'll look for them when I need to replace my tires.