Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Tow capacity question

Thoruride

Just got a 2021 EX and it’s great. We are looking to upgrade from a tent trailer to larger trailer due to extra tow capacity. My question is what would be a safe dry weight of a trailer to look for? 3500-4000? Correct me if I’m wrong but the 5000lbs includes the weight of the trailer plus all the gear and passenger? So potentially I could get a 4000lbs trialer giving me 1000lbs of gear and passengers bring it up to 5000?
Thanks in advance

playared

Not a direct answer to your question - just our experience. We recently towed our 2002 SD with front AC (3500 pound trailer, tongue weight is 470 pounds) about 500 miles (LA to Quartzsite, AZ and back) with a 2021 Telluride EX (factory tow package). Had a bunch of gear behind the second row but don't know how much weight. No WDH only a sway bar. First trip with this tow vehicle. All good. We experienced rain and high winds. Hitching drops the rear about 2 - 2 1/2 inches on connection. The self leveling, after a short drive, reduces that to about 1 inch drop. The self leveling is not an air system. Its a internal hydraulic system built into the rear shocks. The automated cruise control and lane keeping is really good. Takes a little getting use to as it will correct for even the push and suck of the 18 wheelers.
The Telluride is smooth and quiet. Max RPM was little less than 4,000. Even at that it is quiet. Transmission gear selection is good on it's own and very smooth in all modes. Looks like mileage towing is about 15 or 16 at 65 MPH. I did not keep records so that is my estimate.

I really like the Telluride with and with the trailer but of course then I bought one. I drove the Highlander, Pilot, Pathfinder but no towing. Drove and towed with the Tacoma before buying the Telluride.

Torr2ga

Figuring out what you can safely tow takes a little research and understanding of the vehicle and trailer weights, payload and related terms and measures. We used a spreadsheet provided by YouTubers Keep Your Day Dream. I think this is the link to the episode-
. You can download the spreadsheet from this episode.

We ended up buying a Winnebago 1708FB - 3400 lbs/340 lbs tongue weight (all dry numbers). It's tandem axle, but also only 7' wide which helps with drag and the need for mirror extensions. Tele towing experience from PA to FL was awesome. Good luck and happy towing.

OP
T

Thoruride

Thread Starter #4
We ended up with a Keystone Hideout-21’ long. Dry weight of 3300lbs, hitch weight of 460.(I have weight dristriburion hitch) Did some math, and I figure with all our camping gear etc, water tank full and trailer batteries it adds up to about 800lbs. So 3300 plus 800 equals 4100. I think I have to add passengers to that? So another 600(family of 4 and 2 dogs) add up all the weights and it’s roughly 4700, 300 under the max tow capacity and 1200 under the Telluride max GVWR of 5917. Did I do it correct? Also using a Curt Echo wireless brake controllers

We ended up with a Keystone Hideout-21’ long. Dry weight of 3300lbs, hitch weight of 460.(I have weight dristriburion hitch) Did some math, and I figure with all our camping gear etc, water tank full and trailer batteries it adds up to about 800lbs. So 3300 plus 800 equals 4100. I think I have to add passengers to that? So another 600(family of 4 and 2 dogs) add up all the weights and it’s roughly 4700, 300 under the max tow capacity and 1200 under the Telluride max GVWR of 5917. Did I do it correct? Also using a Curt Echo wireless brake controllers
You shouldn't add the family of 4 and 2 dogs against the total towing weight (unless you are making them ride in the camper). That only counts towards the vehicles GVWR.

We just bought our new 2021 telluride with towing package and planning to buy a camper, we love the Shasta 25RS dry weight of 4800lbs. Is it safe to tow with the telle?

According to Kia it is. As long as you don't put more than 200# of additional gear in the trailer. Put the rest in the truck (although the difference as seen from the engine or transmission would be the same, honestly). If it blows up, better to do it while it's under warranty :) … Our Telluride holds onto gears way to long while pulling our 3,500lb boat and trailer, but we bought it specifically to haul the family and the boat, because they claimed a 5,000lb tow rating, so if it breaks something while towing that boat around (pretty religiously on weekends during the summer) then Kia will pay to fix it.

We just bought our new 2021 telluride with towing package and planning to buy a camper, we love the Shasta 25RS dry weight of 4800lbs. Is it safe to tow with the telle?
Hi,
I am reading up on this and I'd say go with a lighter trailer. Firstly, the Tele tows max 5000 lbs with a max tongue weight of 500 pounds. You are pushing these. It wouldn't take much extra stuff to push your trailer weight over. Plus, from what I've read, the Tele is uncomfy towing max weight. Can you find a decent trailer that's 3500 lbs. dry, for example?

Torr2ga

I have to agree with Worzel about the lighter trailer - ours is 3440 lbs dry. There are plenty of videos available to help you understand the aspects of safe towing. I posted the KYD "Payload Problems" video above which has a pretty thorough explanation on towing capacity and also provides a link to a towing capacity spreadsheet that you can simply plug in your vehicle and trailer information and have it calculate whether you can tow the trailer and how much capacity for other things you have. This is just one resource. You should check others as well to satisfy yourself about what you feel you can safely tow. Practically speaking, I think you will quickly find that starting with a trailer so close to the max towing capacity will severely limit what else you can take (people, pets, equipment and accessories) with you when you camp and this may impact the fun factor of your adventures with the camper. To overload capacity is not safe for you or others along the way. That said, I think if you do it right, the Telle is quite capable towing to its 5,000 lbs capacity. In our longest adventure so far, wife and I (and puppy) towed, fully equipped and accessorized, from Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida and back (generally at 65 mph), and could not be more pleased with how our Telle performed. Good luck and safe and happy travels to you!

I have to agree with Worzel about the lighter trailer - ours is 3440 lbs dry. There are plenty of videos available to help you understand the aspects of safe towing. I posted the KYD "Payload Problems" video above which has a pretty thorough explanation on towing capacity and also provides a link to a towing capacity spreadsheet that you can simply plug in your vehicle and trailer information and have it calculate whether you can tow the trailer and how much capacity for other things you have. This is just one resource. You should check others as well to satisfy yourself about what you feel you can safely tow. Practically speaking, I think you will quickly find that starting with a trailer so close to the max towing capacity will severely limit what else you can take (people, pets, equipment and accessories) with you when you camp and this may impact the fun factor of your adventures with the camper. To overload capacity is not safe for you or others along the way. That said, I think if you do it right, the Telle is quite capable towing to its 5,000 lbs capacity. In our longest adventure so far, wife and I (and puppy) towed, fully equipped and accessorized, from Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida and back (generally at 65 mph), and could not be more pleased with how our Telle performed. Good luck and safe and happy travels to you!
Thinking about something in the KYD video, in your towing from PA to FL, did you have to stop at a weigh station? Have you ever had to stop at one? Do you know what are the rules for stopping or not stopping at weigh stations? Curious.
Sean

Torr2ga

Sean - Those DOT weigh stations do not apply to a travel trailer like ours (don't think they apply to private vehicles at all), so we do not have to stop in them. If you are curious about your rig weight, Cat Scale (shown in the KYD video) has an app you can download on your phone and link to PayPal. It's about $10-12 to weigh. Takes only a few minutes. You can go to any Cat Scale pull onto the scale pads, front axle, rear axle and trailer axles, input the scale location and follow the directions on the app and respond to the attendant. You get your results instantly and can tell if you are within the specs of your vehicle and trailer.

Thinking about something in the KYD video, in your towing from PA to FL, did you have to stop at a weigh station? Have you ever had to stop at one? Do you know what are the rules for stopping or not stopping at weigh stations? Curious.
Sean
Most states require vehicles 10,001 lbs and over to stop at weigh stations. SOME states only require this for commercial vehicles, and the weight limit for ALL vehicles to get weighed is raised to 26,001 lbs and over. So as long as your trailer is 5,000lbs or less, there's nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk