Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Dealer installed hitch with 7 pin harness on 2021 Telluride.

Tricos

Just had a tow hitch and 7 pin harness installed today at a Kia dealer . I picked up a curt echo trailer brake controller from camping world and it took 30 seconds to connect and setup. I have been lurking here for the last month and noticed a lot of people couldn't figure out how to get a 7 pin setup or find the manufacturer parts. Here is what you need minus the brake controller. Service adviser said these will also work on a 2020. Paid about $900 with labor. 72E13B48-03A7-4E01-B697-4EE49EC4D8B3.jpeg

Just had a tow hitch and 7 pin harness installed today at a Kia dealer . I picked up a curt echo trailer brake controller from camping world and it took 30 seconds to connect and setup. I have been lurking here for the last month and noticed a lot of people couldn't figure out how to get a 7 pin setup or find the manufacturer parts. Here is what you need minus the brake controller. Service adviser said these will also work on a 2020. Paid about $900 with labor. View attachment 2555
Did this work out for you? Did you say this install doesn't require a brake controller?

OP
Tricos

Tricos

Thread Starter #3
I did not have a brake controller installed by the dealer. I use the the Curt Echo Bluetooth controller that does not require any additional wiring or electrical work. I tow a pop up trailer that weighs about 3500 lbs with this setup.

Thank you for the part numbers. I had a hitch and harness installed and they put a 4 pin harness on my vehicle. I have a Borrego with a 7 pin so I wasn’t expecting a 4 pin on the install. I will switch up to the 7.

So now I wonder if this’ll work with the 2020s.. I don’t see why not tho?

OP,
I just wanna make sure that all parts and labor cost $900? And that your 2021 KT didn’t come with any towing package at all?

OP
Tricos

Tricos

Thread Starter #6
Correct. Our Telluride did not come with a tow package. When we purchased our Telluride, Kia emailed us a 10% off parts coupon.

I see. Now I wonder if they’ll consider putting the same harness for the 2020s. I don’t really see why not. I called and the harness itself was around $190, just not sure of the labor.

OP
Tricos

Tricos

Thread Starter #8
Kiastuff.com has it for $179 and says it’s comparable with a 2020. I believe the labor charge to install everything was about $300. The kit came with the ball mount and trailer brake harness as well. I did not have the trailer brake harness installed since I have a wireless brake controller that works well.

bedyot

Is the tow hitch optional package of the 2021 Telluride a 7 or 4 pin connector?

LouPs

I did not have a brake controller installed by the dealer. I use the the Curt Echo Bluetooth controller that does not require any additional wiring or electrical work. I tow a pop up trailer that weighs about 3500 lbs with this setup.
I installed the KIA factory 7 pin connector and bought the Curt Echo Bluetooth controller. I downloaded the Curt app and connected the Curt Echo to my 7 pin. The app didn’t recognize my Curt Echo. Does the Echo have to be connected to the trailer for it to pair?

LouPs

I think that the KIA factory 7 pin connector kit that I paid $150 for does not work on a 2020 Telluride. I checked all of the 7 pins and the constant power pin is not putting out. The factory kit has a plug in harness to connect under the dash. The KIA directions for the under dash harness shows where it should be for a 2021 model, but 2020’s don’t have it. I am very disappointed with Kia. They
advertised 5000 lb towing on their 2020 models, but have no way to hook up a brake controller! You have to install an aftermarket controller and splice into the wiring, which risk voiding your warranty.