Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Did you buy the extended warranty?

quiggidy

Hello! We picked up our telluride last Wednesday. The experience at the dealer was good but I felt pressured to buy the extended warranty. The finance guy said something about the infotainment system costing thousands of dollars to fix if it broke. Also mentioned that the Powertrain only covers mechanical, nothing computerized. I just feel like it’s not worth the extra cost. I realize it’s a first model so it might have more issues but am questioning whether to call them to cancel it. I had a 2013 first gen Pathfinder and didn’t really have issues with it except for the transmission had to be replaced but it was fortunately covered under a mfg extended warranty. Did anyone get the extended warranty?

ucinn

Staff Member
How much did you pay for it? Most of us that have gotten one have gotten it from Kia of Muncie. They have it for under $1500, if you paid more for it than that, tell them to meet it or hit up Muncie.

OP
quiggidy

quiggidy

Thread Starter #3
They rolled it into the monthly payment to try to make it look cheaper. But at $80/month more for 48 months, it comes out to almost $4K which I think isn't worth the cost. I'm in Minneapolis so not sure if I can hit up Muncie..

ucinn

Staff Member
Just tell them you want to cancel it.. You have 30 days I believe, then hit them up.

OP
quiggidy

quiggidy

Thread Starter #5
Yup, just called to cancel it...had 60 days so no rush but wanted to get it done. Thanks for the feeback!

ucinn

Staff Member
Good to hear, they were making a killing off that one. If you are still interested in the other one, either call Jason at Kia of Muncie or you can email him at jfox@kiaofmuncie.com

Because most vehicles don't have a lot of dealer margin on them anymore, they try to make their profit on the uplift that gets pitched after the purchase. I reviewed the package for extended warranty and chose to pass on it for several reasons. First, most of the items in the list that I considered most likely to fail weren't covered under their extended warranty package. Second, over the five years of the vehicle loan, it would have equated to an additional $7k of payments. So in my consideration, I'm better off just keeping my money and paying for repairs as they're required. Everything in life is a risk, and if they covered more, or offered what they do for half as much, I might have been tempted. Too little in return for too much outlay.

Which is also exactly what I explained to the finance manager when I came back to sign the paperwork, and he asked why I wastn't taking the extended warranty package. :)