Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Need hand with iPhone and the Infotainment system ...

I have two ... not issues, curiosities ... that I need help with on the Kia. Understand that my phone is paired with the my 2022 Telluride's infortainment system.

1) I like to use Waze but not through Car Play. I listen to the radio on the infotainment system. I turn on Waze and place the iPhone in the wireless charger so I can glance at it. However, if Bluetooth on the phone is enabled, no sound comes out of the phone. How come? It's annoying to have to turn off Bluetooth every time and then my phone calls don't come through the infotainment system.

2) My wife is on her phone which is also paired. She's on a call using her iPods, which are paired and working (also paired with her Apple Watch -- she's very connected). But, the infotainment system displays a black screen with "Private" for the call and doesn't let me play tunes. How can I avoid that. If the call is private, I don't need it tying up the radio.

Ideas?

I have two ... not issues, curiosities ... that I need help with on the Kia. Understand that my phone is paired with the my 2022 Telluride's infortainment system.

1) I like to use Waze but not through Car Play. I listen to the radio on the infotainment system. I turn on Waze and place the iPhone in the wireless charger so I can glance at it. However, if Bluetooth on the phone is enabled, no sound comes out of the phone. How come? It's annoying to have to turn off Bluetooth every time and then my phone calls don't come through the infotainment system.

2) My wife is on her phone which is also paired. She's on a call using her iPods, which are paired and working (also paired with her Apple Watch -- she's very connected). But, the infotainment system displays a black screen with "Private" for the call and doesn't let me play tunes. How can I avoid that. If the call is private, I don't need it tying up the radio.

Ideas?
1. If your phone is connected via Bluetooth, it won’t make any sound from the device itself, because it is transmitting to the Bluetooth destination. This could be a problem for the way you use your phone (listening to the radio and not Bluetooth audio).

Looks like you could fix this in Waze settings: in the Waze settings screen, go to voice and sound, then choose play sound via. There, you can choose play on phone speaker, or play as Bluetooth phone call. Either would probably be acceptable options for you.

2. Presumably your wife’s phone must be paired or connected as the primary device, which means it connects for phone duties. Since she’s on the phone, the system knows that.

If she doesn’t typically use her phone with the car (especially as a phone) make sure she’s second on the device list. You probably want your phone to be first since that would be the device used with the car as a phone.

Go to setup > device connections. You can reorder the Bluetooth connection priority. Note that even if hers isn’t the primary, two devices can connect for Bluetooth audio, so hers could still be easily used for that purpose if you want.